Posted by: Mytwojeeps2020
« on: December 07, 2021, 03:41:36 PM »All good thoughts, my friends. I'll think things through and make a call. Thanks, much!
In the glass bowl pump, if the fuel level covers the brass screen the pump is working fine. Clarity is a good thing.
My pre-Chinese single action fuel pump used to fill the glass bowl up when the engine was running. Now, I’ve read they don’t do this anymore, (Actually, a full bowl indicates a problem. The air gap at the top is purposeful to help maintain pressure and has always been a feature.)which calls for a lot of cranking before the engine starts. Sometimes my CJ6 sits for a month between drives - it’s a camp Jeep, so I don’t see it often. (And that is why it is hard to start. The fuel has evaporated from the bowl.)When it does start, I have to keep the idle high so it doesn’t stall. (Sounds like a vacuum leak is present.) I have to run it this way the whole time I’m using it.
I think I may have two problems here:
To fix the starting problem, I’m thinking of adding an electric fuel pump between the tank and the mechanical fuel pump. I’m thinking this will help fill the fuel pump so there’s less cranking.
Buy a pump with a manual primer handle.
The idle problem I can’t figure out. I’m running a Solex that’s recently been rebuilt. I’m in Florida so there’s no elevation issues. I also added a new fuel filter.
I replaced the Carter carb with a Solex about 100 hours ago (odometer doesn’t work). It worked fine until I had to replace the first of my cheap, POS Chinese fuel pumps last year due to their flooding my crank case with gas. After the fuel pump issues, I had the Solex rebuilt.
You replaced the Carter with the Soles because of fuel pump issues?
I’m also wondering this: once I get it started, should I keep the electric fuel pump on to assist the mechanical pump?