The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Post reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it's been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Subject:
Message icon:

Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Write the word between words Jeep from this JeepWILLYSJeep?:
How many slot has a GPW grill?  7 - 9 - 11:

shortcuts: hit alt+s to submit/post or alt+p to preview


Topic Summary

Posted by: Rus Curtis
« on: February 27, 2021, 11:38:21 AM »

I like easy fixes....

Time to drive!
Posted by: PercyUK
« on: February 27, 2021, 11:29:08 AM »

Hi Rus, well I am a happy camper.
 Not only is the sun shining here but it turned out to be an easy fix.
 I started to wonder if the lever was rubbing or bulking against the rubber gaitor so decided to take it off and check.
 Upon removal I found that the flat spring, used to prevent stick wobble, had come off and was blocking the levers movement.
 One minute later and it was relocated and secured with a cable tie. It now engages fine and I am very happy about  it.
 Its not often that things go so well.!!
Thanks for helping out.
Posted by: Rus Curtis
« on: February 27, 2021, 10:22:59 AM »

Perhaps if I'd read a bit closer, I would have noticed that minor detail!!

I would agree the poppets/spring/detent area should be looked at closely.  I also wonder about how well attached the shift fork is too (shifts into gear but not fully-allowing slippage back out).

Does it slip back to neutral only when you let off gas or also under load?
Posted by: PercyUK
« on: February 27, 2021, 03:51:03 AM »

Hi Rus, thanks for your thoughts. In this case it is the transfer case itself that is slipping from high ratio into the neutral position rather than  the actual gearbox which I believe is quite common. I wonder if it could be the detents?, hopefully I will get a chance to look at it today and find a few more clues.
Posted by: Rus Curtis
« on: February 26, 2021, 09:16:24 PM »

Every time I read a post of gears popping out, it seems to have synchronizer issues.  My issue (way back on original T90) it was the shaft and spacers and bearings wearing out... 

I've got my own issues still to sort out but hopefully, better minds chime in.

Have you popped the shifter off to look inside yet?
Posted by: PercyUK
« on: February 26, 2021, 01:31:06 PM »

Hi, I have been driving my Cj3a around for a few weeks without any problems.
Today I tested low range and 4wd which was also good however when I put it back to 2wd, in high range, the transfer case has started to slip out into neutral.
Any ideas?