The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Post reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it's been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Subject:
Message icon:

Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Write the word between words Jeep from this JeepWILLYSJeep?:
How many slot has a GPW grill?  7 - 9 - 11:

shortcuts: hit alt+s to submit/post or alt+p to preview


Topic Summary

Posted by: Kirkski
« on: April 27, 2014, 02:16:07 PM »

Welcome
Posted by: Cadwelder
« on: April 16, 2014, 10:49:54 AM »

Ask any old Jeeper and he'll tell you that the SM420 was manufactured by GM but, at this point in time, its DNA is 100% Jeep. Having stated that, when I started planning a build, I wasn't looking for a 420; last manufactured in 1967, I didn't think I'd find one.
I found a '70 Chevy tow truck at a salvage yard. Assuming it was a SM465 I aquired the trans. Turned out to be a SM420 someone had put into the truck. Also had a PTO to run the winch. I rebuilt it with Novak's parts and instructions, installed their adapter, and now it's good to go.
I plan on installing a PTO gearbox (transfercase driven) at rear of Jeep to run a 6' finish mower. Am hoping I can use the transmission's PTO to run a hydraulic pump for a homemade 3 point hitch.
I have since come across another SM420 from a '62 fire truck (low mileage by nature :-) ). Its housing was from from loader forks but I have another housing; will probaby rebuild and sell it.
Below are a couple pics of the trans/t-case, with PTO not attach (dirty still, too).

http://i1170.photobucket.com/albums/r532/cadwelder/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20140416_101749_721_zpsf6fbd942.jpg
http://i1170.photobucket.com/albums/r532/cadwelder/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20140416_101803_591_zps64b0d09b.jpg
Posted by: Quebec Jeep
« on: April 15, 2014, 08:31:39 AM »

Welcome!
Posted by: garage gnome
« on: April 15, 2014, 08:15:36 AM »

Welcome! I have a 225 and love it.
Posted by: athawk11
« on: April 14, 2014, 10:10:12 PM »

Cad,
Welcome aboard.  Show us some photos when you get a chance.  Tell us a little about the SM420. 

Tim
Posted by: Cadwelder
« on: April 14, 2014, 03:54:16 PM »

Hello all, From the Bluegrass State. Started building a 3A from parts several years ago but it got put on hold. Been "spring cleaning" the shop to get back to work on it. My Jeep will not be stock but will look that way for the most part. I have rebuilt the axles (25/44;4.27), 11" brakes, trans and T-case (SM420/D18). Am modifying a '69 CJ5 (V6) frame. Have a Reproduction body purchased in '07. Undecided as of yet if I'll go 225 or 3.8; have both.