The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Post reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it's been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Subject:
Message icon:

Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Write the word between words Jeep from this JeepWILLYSJeep?:
How many slot has a GPW grill?  7 - 9 - 11:

shortcuts: hit alt+s to submit/post or alt+p to preview


Topic Summary

Posted by: PhilipS
« on: April 04, 2018, 10:15:15 PM »

I am having a devil of a time finding doors frames for my M38. I was wondering if someone out there could trace a left and right door frame on a large piece of paper and send it to me so I could maybe make my own. i some one would do this let me know and I will give you my address. Much thanks.
Posted by: bretto
« on: April 18, 2015, 09:36:28 PM »

Doors project completed.
Although they look good, I have to admit, I am not a big fan of them as it really closes things up.  There are a lot of blind spots and driving with them on in today' traffic is an adventure.  No wind is nice but I was actually getting hot and wish I had a vent of sorts.  Its the season though to having them off, just had to try them out.

Here are some pics of the handles.  I ended up not using the handles I bought from MWM and used stock ones (on the exterior), made the interior ones and the striker plates.  I still don't know how the the stock set-up ever works.  Its seems everything is too thick for the stock distance between the handles.  By the time I had all the plates on and the fabric, there was no way that pin was going to reach between the handles.  I also welded about a 3/4" of tube to the door frame bracket as a bushing for the handle connection.  I then used carriage bolt for the connecting pin, that's the head you see on the exterior.  Then I have fiber washers between everything, its really smooth and firm.









Posted by: athawk11
« on: April 07, 2015, 10:51:07 AM »

You've done some very nice work there.  Of course, I would expect nothing less from you at this point. :)

Beautiful!

Tim
Posted by: Kirkski
« on: April 07, 2015, 10:37:12 AM »

Really nice work
Posted by: bretto
« on: April 04, 2015, 11:09:54 PM »

Here's the progress thus far.  Instead of using the pricey common sense fasteners, I opted to just use some snaps.  I now have to work on the handle detail. 
There is a great sense of accomplishment in doing stuff yourself but with that, let it be know that the price you pay for someone else making these door skins is a bargain.

















[/b]
Posted by: bretto
« on: March 01, 2015, 06:34:42 PM »

Bent me out another set of frames copied from the ones I got.

I kind of did this just to see how hard it may be and to use my bender.  It wasn't too bad.  The hardest part was actually making the bracket the handles attaches to.  I wish I had another CJ around to see how well these would fit.  From twisted window frames, bent mounts, crooked tubs....etc, I'm sure, across the board, there would have to be some tweaking done from one Jeep to the next.  It's really not that hard to bend to fit though.

I think I could bust out a few more someone was interested.  One would have to supply their own handles and escutcheons.  I got mine from Midwest Military.  I don't have the means to make those plates.  I would be able muddle thru making handles but don't really want to.







Posted by: 1955CJ-5
« on: January 24, 2015, 09:49:08 PM »

Those look great!!

I had to do some considerable "tweaking" to the frames I bought from Beachwood....

I really think they were designed to allow fitting(bending) to each individual jeep, as they all would have been a little different.

Nicely done!
Posted by: bretto
« on: January 24, 2015, 08:33:04 PM »

Sometimes my ambition gets ahead of me.  "This will only take a few hours".  Started at 8am just got done at 6pm.  Had to tweak the heck out of the frames this way and that before I got them just right.  I don't really see how anyone or company can make certain parts (door frames).  Too many factors to be lucky enough to just have them fit right in.  I think they fit pretty good now.  I was able to use my new bender for the 1st time in making new upper hinge pins.  This is as good as its going to get in my garage.

Ready for canvas......I think.













Parts waiting to be installed.
Posted by: athawk11
« on: January 23, 2015, 01:41:22 PM »

Bretto,

Those look great.  Nice plug welds. 

If you want to give it the official look with the 4 little dimples, you could fake us out by drilling 4 small 1/6" holes.  No one would ever know. ;)

Tim
   
Posted by: bretto
« on: January 23, 2015, 01:11:02 PM »

I have got hinges on.  They don't have the cool 4 spot weld dimples but they are solid.  Thanks for all your help.  Now on with the door project.........









Posted by: RICKG
« on: January 20, 2015, 03:12:09 PM »

Ya gotta be good at 10.5", you remember even my dims were +- 1/4". With the hinges you can determine the pin locs.� If ya don't have the skins built by next time we meet we can make a fullsize template from mine.� Glad the boy's go kart project is coming along-you gotta build a mini M38 body for it!!
Posted by: bretto
« on: January 20, 2015, 11:14:50 AM »

From all that have contributed, it looks like there was a little tolerance in the hinge positions.
I got measurements from 10 5/16" to 10 1/2".  Think I will just attach them at 10.5 and call it good.
Had to pay $15 a piece  :o  Not like me to buy something so pricey.  Just haven't had time to work on it.  Working on my son's gokart it eating shop time ;D
Brett
Posted by: 1955CJ-5
« on: January 18, 2015, 02:56:54 PM »

Just because it's raining and I'm bored, I measured both sides of my windshield.....

10 3/8" on the drivers side, and 10 1/2" on the passengers side....

So Ryan's is right in the middle.....
Posted by: bretto
« on: January 11, 2015, 10:42:29 AM »

YEP!
Posted by: Ryan_M
« on: January 11, 2015, 08:08:26 AM »

Is this the measurement you are looking for? I get 10-7/16". This is a '51 3A windshield. My only M38 windshield is out getting sandblasted.