The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Post reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it's been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Subject:
Message icon:

Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Write the word between words Jeep from this JeepWILLYSJeep?:
How many slot has a GPW grill?  7 - 9 - 11:

shortcuts: hit alt+s to submit/post or alt+p to preview


Topic Summary

Posted by: aboyandhisdog
« on: May 20, 2017, 05:25:24 PM »

Hmmm...a quick perusal of my Kaiser Willys catalog shows the plate having 4 holes for the 2a and 3a.  It shows the MB and GPW having 5 holes, and doesn't show one with 3 holes at all.  My m38 tub has the 4 hole cover and the nuts are what I guess would be called "weld nuts" as they are a part of the tub and fasten with what I believe to be 1/4 inch bolts.
Posted by: mtnman37879
« on: May 20, 2017, 11:49:01 AM »

Use Slotted Sheet Metal Screws if you want it to look correct. Phillips head screws are easy to find but stick out like a sore thumb in a restore.
Posted by: squidtone
« on: May 18, 2017, 11:51:20 AM »

Thanks guys, I'm thinking the 3 hole thing is correct for the '3A. The bean counters probably saved a few pennies for that change from the 5 weldnuts on the '2A. 55, that's a good idea, i'll try those "U" clips/tinnerman with some sheet metal screws. The existing holes show no signs of sheet metal screws "threading" the holes, so I don't know how the fasteners stuck in there. 
Posted by: athawk11
« on: May 18, 2017, 11:22:44 AM »

Interesting.� I figured the extra holes were covered up at some point, but my 3A tub shows a similar 3-hole trait.� I added the additional holes and used #12 sheet screws to hold the plate in place in all 5 spots.

The 2A tubs I�ve messed with have caged 1/4-20 nuts in five spots.

 
 3A tub�



You can sort of see the caged nuts here.� This is a 2A cowl area that was �joined/turned into� a 3A tub.


These are just observations.� I don't know what is "correct".
Posted by: 1955CJ-5
« on: May 18, 2017, 12:04:08 AM »

I looked at some pictures and my 51 tub only had the three holes, yet the access cover has five....

I do not remember what i used to fasten the plate....maybe tinnerman clips?
Posted by: squidtone
« on: May 17, 2017, 10:21:40 PM »

I'm going through putting everything together in this ol' '50 Jeep and I'm a bit baffled on how the master cylinder cover plate was put on. Were there captive nuts in the tub for the fasteners to hold the plate on?
And secondly, my tub seems to have had only 3 holes for this plate. The plate has 5 holes. Did Willys economize by 1950 and only use 3 fasteners on the 5 hole plate?
Thanks!