The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Post reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it's been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Subject:
Message icon:

Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Write the word between words Jeep from this JeepWILLYSJeep?:
How many slot has a GPW grill?  7 - 9 - 11:

shortcuts: hit alt+s to submit/post or alt+p to preview


Topic Summary

Posted by: specialty
« on: February 08, 2016, 07:27:32 PM »

Thanks Tumbleweed, That's my plan since  have sand in my original filter and most likely never get it all out. I see no reason why this would not work as good or better than the original.
Posted by: aboyandhisdog
« on: February 08, 2016, 04:02:43 PM »

Quote
Are you using 15W-40 Rotella Diesel Oil?


No, as usual I'm the odd man out.  I have been a Mobil 1 guy for 40 years.  The 10W-40 High Mileage works great in this old Willys. 
Posted by: Tumbleweed
« on: February 08, 2016, 03:50:23 PM »

I agree, I didn't like the idea of destroying the inside of the filter either. My wagon still has the original oil filter but I bypass it with one of those fance K&N filters. I can always go back. I didn't change oild after FCT and my oil is still very clean. Of course I only have 400 miles on the odometer!

Are you using 15W-40 Rotella Diesel Oil?

I found that I get better oil pressure with this compared to 30W conventional oil.

I'm sure you can buy a filter housing from someone if you do decide to go back to an oil breather. Maybe Bruce has an old one for sale that you can convert!

Good luck.......

George

Posted by: aboyandhisdog
« on: February 08, 2016, 03:37:40 PM »

Very helpful George, thanks!  I'm trying this conversion right now.  Currently, the oil in the bottom of my filter gets very little dirt in it, while my engine oil seems to get black after only several hundred miles.  Hoping this will allow for a lot cleaner air to get into my engine.  Shame to have to cut this apart though - seems they could have made it to come apart for cleaning. 
Posted by: Tumbleweed
« on: February 08, 2016, 11:26:05 AM »

More pictures of my air filter conversion. The filter itself measures 5 5/8" outer diameter. The inside measurement of my filter is approx. 5 3/4". It will slide up into the breather compartment really easy. If you want to get a tighter fit just wrap some electrical tape or duct tape around the paper filter up close to the top. I usually wrap about 6 times around to get a snug fit. The filter will only go so far in before it stops. I placed a foam piece in the bottom oil cap. The foam was about 2" thick when it was new. When you install it into the bottom oil cap it will fit very snug once you clamp the oil cap to the breather housing. On the dusty trail at FCT the air filter really caught a lot of dust. I did not see anything in the housing that would indicate dust bypassing the filter. This works for me and I hope that long term it does the job but I see no issues as long as you change filers after a dusty ride.
Posted by: specialty
« on: February 08, 2016, 04:55:29 AM »

To cold up there for me. Hillary only makes it worse!
Posted by: Tumbleweed
« on: February 05, 2016, 04:34:39 PM »

Hey guys,

I've been way out of town - up in NH area - I'll get some pictures together showing fit and such.

Posted by: specialty
« on: February 03, 2016, 05:33:20 AM »

Quote
I was just wondering if the top part of that air filter just sits on top for the body or if there is something that latches it together. Also, is there a gasket between.

Thanks,
Austin

I have seen where some use those rubber toilet rings for gaskets however I am not sure about this set-up. It would have to have a seal of some sort.
Posted by: Austin
« on: February 02, 2016, 07:02:40 PM »

I was just wondering if the top part of that air filter just sits on top for the body or if there is something that latches it together. Also, is there a gasket between.

Thanks,
Austin
Posted by: aboyandhisdog
« on: January 29, 2016, 11:22:02 AM »

George, great photos - do you have any that take it a bit further showing the fitment of the filter into the housing and the end result?  I'm having a little trouble getting my head around how this actually works exactly.   :P
Posted by: johnrb3b
« on: January 29, 2016, 10:34:54 AM »

Here's another variation on the theme.

http://www.42fordgpw.com/mods2.html
Posted by: specialty
« on: January 28, 2016, 07:18:43 PM »

Looked the NAPA filter up. $6.99 is cheap enough. I was looking for it to be more expensive.
Posted by: specialty
« on: January 28, 2016, 07:13:00 PM »

Looks simple enough. I will check out that filter. Thanks
Posted by: Tumbleweed
« on: January 28, 2016, 02:45:29 PM »

Hey specialty,

I found some pictures of the filter modification procedure that I used. I did not have to add any spacers or rubber spacers to make my filter fit. If you have any doubt I would take your gutted filter to you auto parts shop and get a filter to fit but the filter number I gave you worked in mine. I'll still send pictures in the morning.
Posted by: Tumbleweed
« on: January 28, 2016, 01:50:40 PM »

You bet, there are also replacement filters a little cheaper than nthe NAPA 6179. I just purchased a new filter from Autozone that was about 2 - 3 dollars cheaper. I have also seen K&N filters installed in the Donalson but I don't know if that is worth the extra $. I actually have a bypass filter on my '53 wagon with the K&N filter and it looks neat. If I want to use the oil breather I just disconnect the K&N and put the flexible tube in place.

I'll send the pictures in the morning.