The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Post reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it's been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Subject:
Message icon:

Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Write the word between words Jeep from this JeepWILLYSJeep?:
How many slot has a GPW grill?  7 - 9 - 11:

shortcuts: hit alt+s to submit/post or alt+p to preview


Topic Summary

Posted by: macrisel
« on: January 25, 2016, 06:19:15 PM »

Quote
Quote
Cut the head off two 1/4" bolts that are longer than the hood bolts and thread them into the outer holes. Then install the gutter and hood over these studs and put bolts on the other holes. Then remove the two studs.


And that, folks, is why Bob_W writes books and I destroy stuff in my garage....

Wow.  That idea alone would have saved me $10 in masking tape when I taped off every area around the cowl and fenders and wrestled my hood into place. 

As always, I am humbled by the Jedi wisdom found here......
Posted by: surveypunk
« on: January 24, 2016, 01:39:58 PM »

Walcks sells the gutter. Put one on "Butt Buster".

JB
Posted by: 1955CJ-5
« on: January 21, 2016, 09:52:28 PM »

I've often wondered why the heads were designed with that depression around the plugs for collecting water and other debris...

Maybe the spark plug reach?

Clearance?

It just doesn't seem right.....
Posted by: Bob W
« on: January 20, 2016, 09:09:14 AM »

It's not perfect, still a lot of room to screw up the paint, but it helps.
Posted by: Oilleaker1
« on: January 20, 2016, 07:53:30 AM »

Bob, no, no ,no. There's no challenge that way. Stuff a bunch of rags up on the cowl and fight and jerk around!  ;D A great idea by the way. John
Posted by: Ryan_M
« on: January 19, 2016, 08:40:45 PM »

Quote
Cut the head off two 1/4" bolts that are longer than the hood bolts and thread them into the outer holes. Then install the gutter and hood over these studs and put bolts on the other holes. Then remove the two studs.


And that, folks, is why Bob_W writes books and I destroy stuff in my garage....
Posted by: Bob W
« on: January 19, 2016, 08:30:53 PM »

Cut the head off two 1/4" bolts that are longer than the hood bolts and thread them into the outer holes. Then install the gutter and hood over these studs and put bolts on the other holes. Then remove the two studs.
Posted by: Ryan_M
« on: January 19, 2016, 07:51:46 PM »

Here's my first attempt at solo hood/rain gutter installation. I used paracord to dangle the hood from the ceiling and swung it into position. I have since installed other hoods single-handedly without the rope but it is not easy. 



Posted by: aboyandhisdog
« on: January 19, 2016, 03:29:39 PM »

Austin, could you provide a photo of the solution you came up with?  Would it be an easier mount-up than the usual 3A rain gutter?  Thanks!
Posted by: athawk11
« on: January 19, 2016, 11:44:28 AM »

Here is a picture of the 'Rain Gutter' found on many CJ3As.
 


The CJ2A didn't come with this feature. 

If you ever try to install your hood by yourself, you'll quickly learn why these sometimes were left off. :(

Tim      
Posted by: Kirkski
« on: January 19, 2016, 10:13:20 AM »

There is a "rain gutter" that bolts to the hood hinge that keeps the rain out. I understand that many are missing on Jeeps
Posted by: Austin
« on: January 19, 2016, 09:28:40 AM »

For a long it was very frustrating for me having rain water drip off the rear of my hood and find its way into the deep area around my spark plug. I came up with a fix, I bent a piece of aluminum in my break with a channel that the water follows across the engine compartmen and bolted it to the firewall. It works great, but I was wondering what correct fix would be or if there is any. I have talked to many others that seemed to have the same problem.