The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Post reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it's been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Subject:
Message icon:

Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Write the word between words Jeep from this JeepWILLYSJeep?:
How many slot has a GPW grill?  7 - 9 - 11:

shortcuts: hit alt+s to submit/post or alt+p to preview


Topic Summary

Posted by: specialty
« on: January 25, 2016, 12:11:03 PM »

Quote
Take my word for it, men. It's easier to pick the computer up, hold it upside down. and read the above.� :o
The alternative makes my neck hurt.� ;D

JB
What really gets me is why people wonder why I drink!  :-X
Posted by: surveypunk
« on: January 25, 2016, 11:57:20 AM »

Take my word for it, men. It's easier to pick the computer up, hold it upside down. and read the above.  :o
The alternative makes my neck hurt.  ;D

JB
Posted by: Austin
« on: January 18, 2016, 06:45:05 PM »

Page 193
Posted by: Austin
« on: January 18, 2016, 06:44:32 PM »

Page 192
Posted by: specialty
« on: January 18, 2016, 02:13:18 PM »

I have to look that up and see how the fish scale is used. I saw it once someplace.
Posted by: Austin
« on: January 18, 2016, 01:50:00 PM »

I used a fish scale. Its amazing how one shim can effect the pull by so much. I also used a piece of Emery paper to smooth up the knuckles which helped get a nice smooth and even pull all the way across.
Posted by: specialty
« on: January 18, 2016, 12:41:09 PM »

Quote
I went through this on my 3a. It had a terrible death wobble from 20 to 25 mph. I got the bearings and races along with the seal kit and shim kit from NAPA. I think they happened to have the best prices. Just tell them your working on a dana 25/27 axle and they should be able to get you anything you need. Its nice too to use NAPA because you wont pay shipping.

I attached a diagram of the axle you can use to cross reference parts.

http://www.4wheelparts.com/hardparts/HP_PartList.aspx?hpDID=63#11

Thanks for the diagram. Did you use the fish scale thing to set up your knuckles or add shims until it felt right? I have one side on mine where it has a little play, the other is tight after removing 1 shim, but I am going to go ahead and do both sides while the tub is off.
Posted by: specialty
« on: January 18, 2016, 12:37:50 PM »

I have a buddy who works at NAPA so I will get with him on it. I have gotten a few things through him so far and they are about as reasonable as the others. I also chatted with the girl online looking for a master cylinder and she suggested calling the store because they have listings on older vehicles they have no access to online. On my 3A he had to search through Willy's Overland to bring it up. Thanks
Posted by: Austin
« on: January 18, 2016, 11:54:49 AM »

I went through this on my 3a. It had a terrible death wobble from 20 to 25 mph. I got the bearings and races along with the seal kit and shim kit from NAPA. I think they happened to have the best prices. Just tell them your working on a dana 25/27 axle and they should be able to get you anything you need. Its nice too to use NAPA because you wont pay shipping.

I attached a diagram of the axle you can use to cross reference parts.

http://www.4wheelparts.com/hardparts/HP_PartList.aspx?hpDID=63#11
Posted by: specialty
« on: January 18, 2016, 09:52:34 AM »

I figured out the bearing from your information. Now I need to figure out the race. Thanks much.
Posted by: specialty
« on: January 18, 2016, 09:02:41 AM »

My eyes are not what they used to be. Is that number 11590 or 11390? I was going to just go to American Bearing and get these. I think it would be much cheaper. Thanks
Posted by: Ryan_M
« on: January 18, 2016, 07:52:08 AM »

Here's the knuckle bearing. I don't have a race handy though.



I bought a digital fish scale at the sporting goods store to help measure the preload. The now defunct Vernco site had an outstanding tutorial on this. Anyone happen to save a copy of that page?

Shim placement has been discussed here before so make sure you determine whether you need them on the top and bottom of the knuckle (early style) or just on the top (later style).

http://www.cj3apage.com/cgi-bin/3Ayabb26/YaBB.pl?num=1353688139
Posted by: specialty
« on: January 18, 2016, 01:57:11 AM »

Just wondering if anyone has the bearing numbers and type for the 3A steering knuckles. I have one that is a little loose. Also a  good link on rebuild them. Novak explains the process but is vague on the bearing preload. Any tips n shimming? Thanks