The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Post reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it's been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Subject:
Message icon:

Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Write the word between words Jeep from this JeepWILLYSJeep?:
How many slot has a GPW grill?  7 - 9 - 11:

shortcuts: hit alt+s to submit/post or alt+p to preview


Topic Summary

Posted by: 1955CJ-5
« on: July 07, 2015, 11:44:17 PM »

Mine had and still has it mounted horizontal...............

Posted by: Quebec Jeep
« on: July 07, 2015, 09:13:15 PM »

Thank
Posted by: macrisel
« on: July 07, 2015, 05:36:32 PM »

I used stainless steel machine bolts to mount mine and put some rubber grommets between the regulator and fender.

As to whether it is supposed to be vertical or horizonatal, I have no idea.  The regulator on my jeep was mounted vertical, but my replacements from Walcks were made to be mounted horizontal with the terminals pointing down.  I used one of my existing holes but had to drill two new ones.. >:(  I put some more SS bolts in the remaining holes to make them pretty ;)
Posted by: Quebec Jeep
« on: July 05, 2015, 08:31:40 PM »

Hey, i got my new voltage regulator from Walcks.

Here the question;

I though i would be able to reused the mounting hardware screw but they were far gone. Does the regulator are using straith screw with bolt? Look like mine had some rubber in it...

Also, which side is the proper way to mount the regulator? Bubba drill 3 holes (6 totals) vertically and horizontally in my fender.
I think is horizontally, with the screw facing down.
Posted by: macrisel
« on: June 20, 2015, 03:17:26 PM »

I would go with Walcks.  I ordered a regulator from them and had it go bad within a year.  I spoke with Dan and he told me to send it in and they would replace it no charge.  I was out shipping, but that was it and I had it back within a week.  Plus, the regulator was made in the US.

Great guys.
Posted by: Quebec Jeep
« on: June 12, 2015, 10:14:59 PM »

After some tests, i beleive my regulator is bad.

It charge way over 8.0 volts. I read 8.73 volts.

With the field wire unconnected i read 2.8 volts instead of 6.5 volts.

I try to clean the point, i checked all wires, grounds. I did polarized the generator. I umounted the generator and i checked which type It is. Its a type A.

My amp needle was not bouncing before and now it goes from -10 to +25.

I will order a new regulator. Should i give a try on ebay or walcks?
Posted by: Quebec Jeep
« on: June 12, 2015, 09:40:05 AM »

I never really pay attention to this but it look like I have a GGW-6003A as Autolite generator and a 1118301 6V-N Delco remy regulator.

I don't know if they should match together.

I will check and clean all the connection tonight and measure the voltage.
I will go trhough this also:
http://www.cj3a.info/tech/charging.html

I noticed that my amps needle is bouncing more then normal.
Posted by: Oilleaker1
« on: June 12, 2015, 06:13:32 AM »

Just went through this. You can have 7.5 volts at the battery while running, but be putting 40 amps into it! That will boil it. Regulator has 3 coils in it. Cut out, voltage and current coils. They have to sense the battery condition, and turn on and off the charge being sent to the battery by the generator. A amp gauge shows what's being sent to the battery with change in engine RPM. A voltage meter does not show this. Just how many volts are there. Your regulator is the problem, or your wiring is not hooked up correctly. You also need clean contacts in the regulator and a good ground. John
Posted by: p3ferris
« on: June 11, 2015, 11:55:31 PM »

That would be a regulator problem as it regulated the amount of volts going into the battery.  A battery cannot overcharge itself neither can the generator if the regulator is working properly.
Posted by: Bob W
« on: June 11, 2015, 08:47:02 PM »

Sounds like it could be overcharging. Do you have a voltmeter? What is the voltage at the battery terminals whens it's boiling? Be very careful not to make any sparks around a battery that is boiling.
Posted by: Quebec Jeep
« on: June 11, 2015, 03:03:07 PM »

I bought a new battery during winter.
The first time I heard the "problem" I though it was coming from the radiator. The sound was like boiling water.

Now I'm sure it's coming from the battery. I can see small leak from the top of it coming from the cover on each cell.

Why my battery is boiling?

Bad battery, bad regulator, bad generator...

Everything work like it should. I don't have any electrical problem so far.