The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Post reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it's been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Subject:
Message icon:

Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Write the word between words Jeep from this JeepWILLYSJeep?:
How many slot has a GPW grill?  7 - 9 - 11:

shortcuts: hit alt+s to submit/post or alt+p to preview


Topic Summary

Posted by: SSG T
« on: June 02, 2015, 01:40:22 PM »

Alright guys I'm back for some advice. Got her converted to 12v and she's running good. Timing is still a little off but i got a friend with a a timing light. New problem is I noticed she was leaning low on the passenger side. Sure enough had a broken leaf spring. Just got two new springs and 4 new shocks. My question is should I be changing my front springs too? They aren't broken but is the rear going to be high then the front? Thanks
Posted by: SSG T
« on: May 12, 2015, 12:51:31 AM »

You think one of those cheapo $35 harbor fraight one will work? She's running good you can just hear the miss fire slightly. Also, the distributor hits that little screw or w.e it is when turning it counter clock wise. What suggestions do you guys have for that? That one wire alternator didn't come with the wire for the 12v convertion. What size does it have to be? Thanks a lot guys.
Posted by: gmcjr
« on: May 10, 2015, 01:34:48 PM »

Quote
I came over here to see what "Hawky" was doing. I have a 3A too you know. I don't descriminate when it comes to Jeeps---LOL.� 8-) Oilly


We'll just say Oily is a Equal Opportunity Jeeper! 
Posted by: SSG T
« on: May 09, 2015, 11:04:01 PM »

You think one of those cheapo $35 harbor fraight one will work? She's running good you can just hear the miss fire slightly. Also, the distributor hits that little screw or w.e it is when turning it counter clock wise. What suggestions do you guys have for that? That one wire alternator didn't come with the wire for the 12v convertion. What size does it have to be? Thanks a lot guys.
Posted by: athawk11
« on: May 09, 2015, 11:00:24 AM »

Quote
I came over here to see what "Hawky" was doing. I have a 3A too you know. I don't descriminate when it comes to Jeeps---LOL.� 8-) Oilly
 
I know you have a whole barn full of stuff.   (I'm looking forward to seeing it.)  I just haven't seen you poke in over here for a while.  I know what it is...You're needing a Willys "fix"...and it's pretty quiet out there in the forum world right now. :D

Tim
Posted by: Oilleaker1
« on: May 09, 2015, 08:13:39 AM »

I came over here to see what "Hawky" was doing. I have a 3A too you know. I don't descriminate when it comes to Jeeps---LOL.  8-) Oilly
Posted by: Bob W
« on: May 08, 2015, 03:07:53 PM »

A regular test light can be used to set the timing too. Connect the test light between ground and the distributor side of the coil (-). Use Sean's "Geico" method of setting the crankshaft at 5 degress BTDC and then with the key on turn the distributor as described. When the test light lights up the points have just opened and you can tighten down the adjustment bolt.
Posted by: athawk11
« on: May 08, 2015, 01:24:15 PM »

Leaker,
What are your doing over here...slummin it?  ;D

Sarge, the Leaker speaks the truth, but I'll be honest, I don't have a timing light either.

The entry from the 2A Page, done by Sean is excellent.  It's called the Geico Methoud.  (you know...It's so easy, even a cave man can do it.)

I rely solely on this approach.  You may find it very helpful...

http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/l134-ignition-timing_topic13819.html

Tim

Posted by: Oilleaker1
« on: May 08, 2015, 08:19:42 AM »

A timing light is the best, but a old rule of thumb for on the road fixes, is loosen the clamp on the distributor and rotate it in the direction of increased idle. That's advancing. Rotate it for the fastest idle without faultering. Then retard the timing 100 RPM's and you will be close. If it sputters, try adjusting the carb mixture screw to smooth the idle out to the best. If that doesn't work, you may need to do a valve adjustment. One or more may be tight, or not enough clearance. John
Posted by: SSG T
« on: May 08, 2015, 07:14:06 AM »

Nope unfortunately. Some one said I can loosen up the distributor and listen?
Posted by: Ryan_M
« on: May 08, 2015, 07:11:58 AM »

Do you have a timing light to help dial in the timing? How about a dwell meter or at least a feeler gauge to make sure the points are adjusted correctly prior to setting the timing?
Posted by: SSG T
« on: May 08, 2015, 05:43:52 AM »

Hey guys,

Ended up ordering a 12v convention kit but I think my timing is still a little off. You can here it miss firing from the exhaust. What should I do?
Posted by: SSG T
« on: May 03, 2015, 07:07:57 AM »

Alright guys got it fixed! New stud and head gasket seems to have worked. Need a new fuel pump because its spitting out fuel. Also the Generator isn't working. My friends dad says I can get a 1 wire GM alternator, 12 volt coil, new bulbs and I can have it switched over to 12v with out buying the expensive conversion kit. Any truth behind that? As always thanks for the help boys!
Posted by: SSG T
« on: April 27, 2015, 09:52:41 PM »

Thank you brother!
Posted by: athawk11
« on: April 27, 2015, 09:16:26 PM »

I believe it's 7/16" x 14.