The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Post reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it's been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Subject:
Message icon:

Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Write the word between words Jeep from this JeepWILLYSJeep?:
How many slot has a GPW grill?  7 - 9 - 11:

shortcuts: hit alt+s to submit/post or alt+p to preview


Topic Summary

Posted by: 1955CJ-5
« on: October 03, 2014, 11:12:43 AM »

OK, I found an explanation of the need for left handed threads on only two of the shackles...the left front and the right rear...

It's for ease of installation...

As you screw the left hand shackle nut into the spring, the nut tends to "unwind" the spring eye instead of tightening it as a right handed thread would do in that location. So the location of the left-handed threads are determined by the spring construction/design...


And I suppose the spring eye would act as sort of a lock to keep the shackle bolts(nuts?) from backing out....They weren't too concerned about the frame side though...
Posted by: 1955CJ-5
« on: October 03, 2014, 10:56:55 AM »

Thanks Nate,

I've had them backed out a turn or two...all but one of them would accept grease...I had that one 1/4 of the way out and still it wouldn't take grease...

It's the left front and the right rear lower/spring ends of the shackles that are left hand..

Standing in front of the jeep, and visualizing the movement of the shackles, it seems all the right handed threads on the right front side would tighten on compression and the left side left handed thread would tighten, but the right handed one would loosen...my front shackles angle with the spring end forward...

now "put your left foot in and take your left foot out...and shake it all about"

I'll have to find my old shackles and do some comparing....
Posted by: garage gnome
« on: October 03, 2014, 07:32:10 AM »

If you think about it, you want the shackles to tighten as the suspension compresses and to loosen as the suspension decompresses (for a better ride). They are a PITA to figure out which ones go where. I think the FSM tells you where they go. Also, crank the "nuts" down all the way and back off a turn or so. Makes a big difference.  ;)
Posted by: 1955CJ-5
« on: October 02, 2014, 07:21:30 PM »

OK...in my ignorance and frustration in trying to fit those repro "U" shackles to my 3a last year (these rank second after windshield install for frustration and colorful language) I managed to get the "left" handed threaded shackles in the wrong place.

Both L shackles are on the driver's side, but the front L thread is in the frame, and i think it's supposed to be in the spring. The rear driver side L thread is in the spring( should be on the passenger side, in the spring).� All passenger side shackles are right-handed.

So, what difference does it make? These things were such a poor fit that I can't imagine them having any positive effect on the suspension geometry anyway....

I backed them out a little and was trying to force some grease into them is how I found my error...

Randy