The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Post reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it's been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Subject:
Message icon:

Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Write the word between words Jeep from this JeepWILLYSJeep?:
How many slot has a GPW grill?  7 - 9 - 11:

shortcuts: hit alt+s to submit/post or alt+p to preview


Topic Summary

Posted by: calvinhunt
« on: August 07, 2014, 01:49:31 AM »

Thanks Gents,
I'll go with the audience's answer and check the E-brake cable and linkage.  I have to say that I'm glad it is just the emergency brake itself making the noise and not something in the transfer case. Probably won't get back to it for a few days because of my schedule, but when I do I post my findings.
Posted by: 1955CJ-5
« on: August 06, 2014, 01:53:35 PM »

I second the handle rattle...I just went for fuel and realized my E brake cane was the cause of a rattle that I was blaming on just about everything else..

I recently added a short hook to the e brake return spring thus reducing the tension and effort needed to set the brake....previously the spring was stretched very tightly....now I guess I need to shorten the hook....
Posted by: macrisel
« on: August 06, 2014, 11:00:03 AM »

Scout beat me to the punch, but that would be where I would start also.  If that joint is loose because the hole is rounded out, you could weld the hole up and redrill or put a sleeve of some sort in it to take up the slack.

If that is not the cause, you might look under the dash at the ebrake handle.  It might be loose enough on the spring it is shaking at certain RPMs/loads...
Posted by: scoutpilot
« on: August 06, 2014, 06:02:39 AM »

E-brake cable/clevis/arm connection is loose at the arm, just enough to rattle and disturb your calm.
Oh, and it is called "The Law Of Unintended Consequences".
Posted by: calvinhunt
« on: August 06, 2014, 12:56:37 AM »

     I've decided I must be longing for another Jeep project.  I somehow seem to find reasons to take my perfectly good Jeep apart and repair it from time to time--usually without the desired outcome. 
     Chasing a noise that wouldn't bother a normal person I decided to pull my transfer case and see if the noise was there.  During my restoration the T/C was one of of three items I didn't overhaul.  Following trusted advice I did disassemble it to the point of removing the intermediate shaft and its bearings to check for wear.  I didn't see any of the conditions I had been warned about so I put it back together with all new gaskets and seals.
     So I decided to order the Master Overhaul Kit from Novak Conversions.  It came with new thrust washers, bearings, intermediate shaft, pre-load shims, and new seals and gaskets.  I replaced everything but didn�t really see anything that looked unserviceable.  Even though the emergency brake shoes still had some life remaining I felt I would install new ones just to feel a bit more accomplished in my project.
     Completed the reinstall last night after work.  Test drive was tonight after work.  The original noise is still present, but now the emergency brake makes an annoying noise (clatter, rattle) when on deceleration and slowing to a stop.  If I pull the emergency brake handle just a bit the noise stops.  If I leave the handle pulled and do another deceleration and slow to a stop the noise returns but goes away if I release the emergency brake handle again.  So just moving the handle either way disrupts the undesirable noise.  I crawled back under my Jeep to look for anything obvious.  I see nothing different than it was before I removed the old brake shoes (other than it�s cleaner).  I see no obvious thing to change or place to start troubleshooting.  Because I�m a bit discouraged I�m hoping that someone else has crossed this bridge before and may be able to give me a pointer or two. 
     I have to add, because of trouble with reproduction parts in the past, I walked over to the garbage can and retrieved my old brake shoes.  If all else fails they will go back on.