The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Post reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it's been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Subject:
Message icon:

Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Write the word between words Jeep from this JeepWILLYSJeep?:
How many slot has a GPW grill?  7 - 9 - 11:

shortcuts: hit alt+s to submit/post or alt+p to preview


Topic Summary

Posted by: Carls_jeep
« on: June 02, 2014, 09:35:14 AM »

That's interesting but to much work for me. All that does is make it like what's called a Detroit locker but his version can be locked and unlocked.

I prefer the Lock Right because it's always engaged and only kicks in when needed, instantly, without shifting anything. Sometimes on a trail you get into situations when you don't have time to do anything but drive the best you can.

The fact it acts funny is no problem if your a smart driver. The Lock Right is not for those that only drive on asphalt roads and sometimes gravel, it's for off road dependable instant use as needed.

Believe me when I say you never know when you need the extra traction and you will have no time to try to engage his locker in those cases.�Most the time you don't have the time to stop and wiggle the Jeep to get the two shafts engaged with the slide collar.
Posted by: Jesse
« on: June 01, 2014, 04:55:30 PM »

Posted by: Jesse
« on: May 31, 2014, 06:14:25 PM »

I see. I'm thinking that someday I will install one in the front and use lockouts as well. That way it's totally unhooked for road use. Have you seen the Vernco article about putting a selectable locker in the rear? He did a lot of machine work but it might be a project you would like. I'll try finding it later on.

-Jesse
Posted by: Carls_jeep
« on: May 30, 2014, 12:42:58 AM »

It's in the rear. Those I know that have them in both ends said I only needed it in the rear. It sure makes the Jeep drive funny. If you start off in a turn and shift in the turn the Jeep rear end will jump to the outside of the turn.

When the ratchet is out of the groove and you take off it makes the Jeep feel like it jumps as you take off. I can be a little tricky on wet or icy streets.

I think I will really like it on sand and mud though and it should help me climb slick rock and rock climb. Where I used to have to force it up a rocky incline I think i can climb it slower with control now.
Posted by: Jesse
« on: May 29, 2014, 03:36:50 PM »

Nice, I have always wanted one. Did you put it in the front or the back?

-Jesse
Posted by: Carls_jeep
« on: May 24, 2014, 02:04:53 PM »

I finally got my Lock Right installed and tested. It works just fine but I haven't tried it on a hill in sand or mud yet. That will come in Utah.

When I test assembled it with new side spacers the center clearance was .170" which is the max of the recommended clearance. Recommended is .150" to .170". So I machined four shims extra thick from some 1040 high carbon steel. The stock shims are .028" thick so I surfaced ground them to .040", assembled the center housing and measured the center clearance and it was a little over .150". I thought I may have to thin them a bit but it turned out just where I wanted it.

When I got it together and tested the assembly as instructed in the assembly instructions it worked as described in the manual. Took it on the road and it seems to be just fine. Need to find a seep sandy or muddy hill to climb but there are none here. Look out Utah, I know just the hill to test it on.

I also have 4 M-38 safety rims on it now so I can safely run 15 psi on the trails.