The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Post reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it's been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Subject:
Message icon:

Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Write the word between words Jeep from this JeepWILLYSJeep?:
How many slot has a GPW grill?  7 - 9 - 11:

shortcuts: hit alt+s to submit/post or alt+p to preview


Topic Summary

Posted by: Rommel_Juan
« on: May 12, 2014, 07:49:02 PM »

Quote
Wow, now the pressure is on. I went back to the workspace tonight to think about the fender and it's issues. Here is what I learned:

1. I don't think that the issue is with the placement of the support. A few measurements indicate that it should be positioned correctly relative to everything else. I won't know for sure until the fender is mounted.

2.� The problem appears to be interference with the bottom of the fender and the battery holder. Here is my reasoning.� Take a look at the following picture. The original fender is on the left, the new on the right. Note the area on each photo that I highlighted. On the old fender the edge of the fender is aligned with the bracket. On the new fender, the edge of the fender extends beyond (left in this picture) the bracket. This area extended beyond the bracket hits the battery holder and possibly the frame, thus preventing alignment and fender attachment.
�

The good news is that some judicious removal of sheet metal should make things work out. I probably won't get to this stage until the weekend. As a further note, it does appear that the old fender would work fine, so the fitment issue is not due to the tub or tub alignment.

Rommel, if you are interested in my old fender to use as a reference, I would be happy to figure out a way to get it to you.

Steve

here is our improvement on the 3a/3b fenders:

Posted by: CJPilot
« on: May 12, 2014, 07:54:09 AM »

Rommel,

What about taking a look at the windshield frame?
Posted by: Rommel_Juan
« on: May 11, 2014, 10:41:01 AM »

we will take a look at the tailgate issue.
Posted by: Steve
« on: April 17, 2014, 01:14:01 AM »

The old window frame is actually in pretty good shape. I didn't use it because I ordered the whole kit including the windshield.

It is worth noting that I did not have any issues with the tailgate; it fit fine with everything aligned.  The only other tweaks aside from the windshield have been having to trim tub in order to accommodate the shifters.  The trimming should be largely invisible under the rubber boots.

Two of the most important tools for tub and body part installation are a Dremel tool equipped with a cutoff wheel or a grinding wheel, and a round metal file.  The round file is a particularly quick and effective tool for enlarging and/or extending holes in the sheet metal in order to align bolts with the captive nuts.   

I will try to take some more pictures this weekend.

Steve
Posted by: 1955CJ-5
« on: April 11, 2014, 11:08:28 PM »

Good to hear that you solved the problem.......

Was your old window frame unusable?

More Pictures!
Posted by: Steve
« on: April 11, 2014, 04:44:45 PM »

For those who are following this thread. I tack welded a strip of 18 gauge steel along the bottom of the windshield opening. The guy at the local glass shop indicated that it would fix the problem and he should be able to do the install without the prospect of the windshield popping out.

If I had trimmed the lip down to ~3/8" my repair would have been invisible, with my handiwork, a few of the tack welds will be visible beneath the gasket.

I discovered today that the local paint shop can put any kind of paint one needs into an aerosol spray can, rattle and all.  (This is probably not news to many of you.) A spray can of the vehicle paint proved to be extremely handy for painting the sheet metal strip.

Onward!

Steve
Posted by: macrisel
« on: April 01, 2014, 10:52:42 AM »

Steve, I had an issue with my repro windshield as well.  The bottom portion on my glass opening was not formed completely and I had to rebend the lower lip........after I had the frame painted.  By the time I was finished with the bending, I had to repaint the windshield.

Make sure you let MD Juan know about the issue.  The have a topic on this forum dedicated to their parts and have been pretty good about correcting on going issues.  It is probably not going to help you, but it may save someone else in the future.
Posted by: PeterL
« on: April 01, 2014, 08:28:57 AM »

Steve,

Here are a few pics of my tailgate.
Posted by: Steve
« on: March 31, 2014, 10:28:10 PM »

I haven't tried there tailgate...I sure hope that I don't have an issue there as well.
Posted by: PeterL
« on: March 31, 2014, 09:33:33 PM »

Steve, I just received my body kit today.  I tried to fit on the tailgate and the hinge is about 1/2  inch off....... BOOO sorry about the window.  Thanks for giving the heads up though.
 
Posted by: Steve
« on: March 31, 2014, 09:03:24 PM »

First major snag today. Took the window frame to the glass shop for mounting the glass only to learn that there is not enough of a lip on the bottom to mount the seal. Apparently, the opening for the window was not cut out symmetrically...to much lip on top, not enough on the bottom. I am likely going to have to weld in a strip on the bottom. Not a happy camper given that the frame is painted.  :-/
Posted by: macrisel
« on: March 31, 2014, 10:00:09 AM »

Very nice!  I really like the tow hooks mounted to the top of the frame in front.  They would make it handy to pull start or strap it to a trailer.
Posted by: zooke581
« on: March 30, 2014, 11:07:27 AM »

Very nice.  Hope to be at this stage soon.
Posted by: 1955CJ-5
« on: March 30, 2014, 10:23:47 AM »

Wow, huge progress!

It looks really good and the fit looks perfect..
Posted by: Steve
« on: March 30, 2014, 12:52:47 AM »

Tub and various parts went on today. No major glitches, things lined up pretty well lessons learned include:

*Start at the front and work toward back (grille, fenders, etc.)

*Do rear bumper mounts after other tub mounting points are tightened down. There is quite a bit of give in the L-brackets that mount to rear bumper so they can be bent into alignment by tightening the bolts.

I had to cut a notch in the forward part of the cutout for the transfer case shift levers in order for the shifters to have full forward travel. I may have to do a small cutout for the shift lever as well. If the tub could be mounted about 3/4 inch further forward, there would have been no issues.

The big relief was that in all cases, the floor supports rested on the mounting points.