The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Post reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it's been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Subject:
Message icon:

Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Write the word between words Jeep from this JeepWILLYSJeep?:
How many slot has a GPW grill?  7 - 9 - 11:

shortcuts: hit alt+s to submit/post or alt+p to preview


Topic Summary

Posted by: 1955CJ-5
« on: March 27, 2014, 07:30:59 PM »

Put the new regulator in....initial charge rate was about 7.25 volts, and it dropped to about 6.3 after a few minutes, and it varied just a little when revving the engine so I'm calling this one fixed....it's raining so I didn't drive it to see how the gauges react...

Here is the instruction sheet that came with the Standard VR4 6Volt regulator..

Posted by: 1955CJ-5
« on: March 27, 2014, 12:04:38 PM »

Thanks for that....I ordered a new regulator rather that fool around with this one that may have failed....

Both my temp and fuel gauges (CJ-5) read abnormally high so this may solve that problem too...
Posted by: johnnybravo
« on: March 27, 2014, 11:27:41 AM »

When correct, it should charge at 6.2-3 volts.
Posted by: 1955CJ-5
« on: March 23, 2014, 10:07:19 AM »

Thanks Bob....Years ago we tried an 8 volt battery and I think there was some adjusting of the regulator to charge the new battery.....we bent something, but I could not remember which relay....

I'll give that a try.....

All the relay contact plates are free to move....
Posted by: Bob W
« on: March 23, 2014, 06:54:26 AM »

That does seem a bit high. Perhaps the voltage relay contact is stuck closed? The voltage relay is the one with thin wire. You can adjust the voltage by bending the spring anchor point. Bend it up and the spring tension will decrease so it will take less voltage to break the contact and turn the generator's field winding off. Make small changes and don't expect instant results.
Posted by: 1955CJ-5
« on: March 22, 2014, 06:53:30 PM »

I have a 6 volt system. The battery shows about 6.65 volts. when I start it the voltage jumps to nearly 8 volts, and when revved up a bit it goes to just over 9 volts.

This does not seem right...

The manual goes through an extensive test procedure which is so complex that I doubt that I'll be able to learn anything from it..

Is there a way that I can adjust the regulator so the charge rate is a little more reasonable?

It's a Standard VR4 regulator..

(This is on the CJ-5...but pretend it's a CJ-3...)

Randy