The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Post reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it's been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Subject:
Message icon:

Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Write the word between words Jeep from this JeepWILLYSJeep?:
How many slot has a GPW grill?  7 - 9 - 11:

shortcuts: hit alt+s to submit/post or alt+p to preview


Topic Summary

Posted by: garage gnome
« on: February 09, 2014, 12:16:54 PM »

It will not work without the OD and PTO adaptor unless the PTO was clocked up really high, but then there will be fitment issues with the driveshaft.
Posted by: garage gnome
« on: February 08, 2014, 10:09:51 PM »

I think it might hit the parking brake. I never checked that. I can tell you tomorrow when I take the tub off for certain.
Posted by: Bruce_W
« on: February 08, 2014, 09:59:46 PM »

  Nate, would this work without the overdrive and its adapter, or would there be a conflict with the parking brake?   BW
Posted by: garage gnome
« on: February 08, 2014, 01:38:19 PM »

Any tractor supply should have them. I don't know the size off the top of my head. I got the ones that matched the drive shaft and ends.
Posted by: Uncle_Vin
« on: February 08, 2014, 08:05:15 AM »

Nate:� Where did you get those U joints?� Tractor Supply in Torrington?� What exact size and type are they?� I have a Ramsey PTO winch with the original round-bar drive shaft, but no U joints.
Posted by: garage gnome
« on: February 07, 2014, 12:35:38 PM »

Nope, it was a front mount. I took it apart and flipped it all around. The worm drive gear can be taken out and reversed to make this way work. The winch still spins in the correct direction too. The driveshaft is from tractor supply for tractor implements.
Posted by: Oilleaker1
« on: February 07, 2014, 08:26:12 AM »

Love the slider setup in the shaft! When it comes to stick shifts and overdrive, I think you are the winner! Was your winch originally a rear mount? Or can you change the input on the winch from front to back?
Posted by: garage gnome
« on: February 06, 2014, 09:30:00 PM »

The oil will be down where the PTO bolts on now instead of where the driveshaft connects. It should be fine still. The chain will carry it up to lube everything. I'm thinking about putting some grease fittings where the bearings are just to be safe.

Lee, I had to rebuild my tub anyways, so I figured, what the heck, might as well try it!
Posted by: Oilleaker1
« on: February 06, 2014, 07:52:34 PM »

Nate what about the oil level plugs on the pto when flipped?
Posted by: Lee
« on: February 06, 2014, 06:24:27 PM »

Great Idea Nate, But I will go stock,  :)

Lee ;)
Posted by: garage gnome
« on: February 06, 2014, 10:27:43 AM »

When I put the one on my '49, I was like, oh boy, there isn't much room over there! So instead, I went up the passenger side. The tub needs some modification, but it looks much nicer. My Ramsey winch (200R) is symmetrical, so I took it apart and flipped it around to make it work. The driveshaft just clears the tcase and engine mount. The PTO is a Ramsey and it can be clocked to the desired location.

I like it better this way too. The driveshaft is up high and out of all the mud and such.







Posted by: Oilleaker1
« on: February 06, 2014, 08:59:34 AM »

I didn't get instructions with mine either. It's a very tight fit up front with a CJ. I cut slits in my head pipe and bent it over and re-welded. I then had a exhaust shop make my intermediate pipe to go under and on the left side of the transmission crossmember. Still used the rest of the stock system. In order for the front fairlead to line up with the winch drum, and the PTO shaft to clear the draglink, I had to buy a slender front u joint where it attaches to the winch input. I bought a steering column 3/4 inch joint. I hope it's tough enough for the task. I've seen similar u-joints pictured for the ramsey kit. I put a square tube spacer between the frame and rubber bump to guard the shaft as mentioned in the instructions. I will not winch a vehicle heavier than the CJ. Just too much stress on things. John
Posted by: Lee
« on: February 05, 2014, 06:54:15 PM »

Thank you Quebec Jeep, I have seen most of the links, I also have an equipment book, but does not show installation, all very interesting, looks as if the exhaust is a royal PIA, I do not like flex pipe or a low hanging system, I may go MB/GPW exhaust as it's out of the way then. ;D

Lee ;)
Posted by: Quebec Jeep
« on: February 05, 2014, 09:11:07 AM »

I don't have it.

The best I found is over the 3B:

http://z4.invisionfree.com/CJ3B_Bulletin_Board/ar/t3442.htm

From this link;
Installation instructions;
Ramsey Model RX-200 R front end winch kit
For CJ-3B, CJ-3A, or CJ-2A Jeep
1. Remove exhaust pipe.
2. Install power take off and chain case to the transfer case in
the usual way. Install rubber grommet on power take off lever,
3. Install winch frame side brackets on inner part of chassis on
each side, leaving bolts loose. No drilling is necessary. Place
winch in position on front of Jeep and bolt winch frame to side
brackets. Tighten all bolts securely,
4. Slip center support on drive shaft, and connect drive assembly
between winch and chain drive case. Connect drive shaft center
support to bolt on side of engine and tighten set screws in universal
joints.
5. Saw exhaust pipe in two about three inches from manifold and saw exhaust
pipe in two just behind chain case. Install flexible exhaust pipe.
6. Install the two oblong aluminum spacers underneath the rubber
snubbers on each side of the chassis above the front axle housing,
Their purpose is to prevent the axle housing fro^n coming up and
striking the drive shaft when the Jeep hits a heavy bump.
IMPORTANT: These spacers must be used or the front axle will damage
the drive shaft and universal joints.
IMPORTANT: Lubricate both winch gear housing and chain drive case
with SAE #140 all purpose gear oil before operating winch.
Fill to level of side plug only.
Lubricate universal joints and zerk fittings.

But if you are just looking for info about it:

http://www.cj3apage.com/index/Tech_Tips/rebuilding_the_ramsey_200r_winch.htm
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/ramsey-winch_topic17375.html
http://tantel.ca/Rhino%20PTO_2.html

http://hermtheoverdriveguy.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Ramsey-Model-200.pdf

Maybe in the Jeep special equipment book.
Posted by: Lee
« on: February 04, 2014, 07:38:39 PM »

Anyone have the installation manual for a Ramsey 200 in a 3A, I could get a copy of ?

Thanks, Lee ;)