The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Post reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it's been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Subject:
Message icon:

Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Write the word between words Jeep from this JeepWILLYSJeep?:
How many slot has a GPW grill?  7 - 9 - 11:

shortcuts: hit alt+s to submit/post or alt+p to preview


Topic Summary

Posted by: bretto
« on: August 13, 2013, 06:28:48 AM »

Pretty cool.   I love home a fab work.
Posted by: 1955CJ-5
« on: August 12, 2013, 09:10:35 PM »

Thanks Calvin....

Here is the rest of the story...



Posted by: calvinhunt
« on: August 11, 2013, 11:59:04 PM »

Looking Good!  Really Good!!!
Posted by: 1955CJ-5
« on: August 11, 2013, 06:44:41 PM »

Fearing a visit from the jeep police, I decided to take matters into my own hands and make a caged/captured nut for under the driver seat....





Well, this is just the cage.....nut to follow.....
Posted by: 1955CJ-5
« on: August 05, 2013, 11:13:53 AM »

I just had another idea....maybe I'll use the old windshield-to-cowl rubber seal.....
Posted by: 1955CJ-5
« on: August 05, 2013, 11:09:23 AM »

The mud flap is a great idea....I'll watch for one on the side of the road and then risk my life trying to retrieve it!

What a place for a bolt, and what a place for a gas tank.....
Posted by: macrisel
« on: August 05, 2013, 10:16:01 AM »

For my mounting bolt under the tank, I took a normal hex head bolt and headed to the grinder.  I ground the head of the bolt down to about half of the original thickness.  For spacers, I used an old heavy, rubber mud flap off of a dump truck and cut it into 2" strips as shown on Bob Westerman's 3A site.  I think the mud flap even had the famous naked lady outline on it.... ;D

However, i had my tub on and off so many times I think I ended up leaving that bolt out for the final install.  My jeep is primarly for show and paved roads and I didn't think the tub was going to fly off without that bolt in there.  Plus, I had a nagging feeling in my mind that my "Bubba bolt" would work loose and end up rubbing a hole in my fuel tank.  Bad enough I'm sitting on top of 10 gallons of flammable liquid in a 60 year old tank.....I didn't want to tempt fate even more.
Posted by: 1955CJ-5
« on: August 04, 2013, 07:56:58 PM »

Back to the the captured nut...

All they need is a little grinding..

Posted by: calvinhunt
« on: August 04, 2013, 01:49:11 PM »

For the body-to-frame I actually used the tread portion of an old tire (bias-ply nylon) rather than the sidewall.  It provided more rubber.  Here is a pic. 

Posted by: 1955CJ-5
« on: August 04, 2013, 11:11:00 AM »

Thanks Calvin,

The allen drive sounds best...I avoid slotted hardware whenever possible..

I may glue down a few of those body-to-frame insulators....or maybe cut up an old tire sidewall..I want to avoid anything that may absorb water, just as you did.
Posted by: calvinhunt
« on: August 04, 2013, 10:51:34 AM »

It was not an elevator bolt, or stove bolt, with the square at the base of the head.  Not ribbed like a wheel stud.  I was simply as shown in my sketch below.  If I remember correctly at the local hardware store there were two types: one was slotted and the other had an allen drive.  The allen drive was a better quality bolt.  I prepared the hole by gently tapping the metal around the hole inwards to accept the tapered head.  After it was "caved in" about right I turned a large drill bit a couple of turns with a half inch drill motor to true up the hole for a better fit.


For a spacer under the tank I cut two strips of quality rubber sheet about and eighth inch think, two inches wide, and placed them on the floor.  I used rubber contact cement to keep them in place.  It has been good because from time to time I actually spray water from a hose under there to keep it cleaned out.  Seems to work well.
Posted by: 1955CJ-5
« on: August 03, 2013, 09:12:30 AM »

Quote
Quote
Quote

It would be interesting to learn what others have done....
I ended up using what I found in my original tub application.� It may have been changed but I was the 2nd registered owner and found most of my Jeep quite unchanged from the time it was built.� I found a 5/16-18 flat head bolt in a countersunk hole creating a smooth flush fit.� It seemed normal to me because in the aviation industry we often install flush fasteners.� I duplicated the same with new hardware.

That sounds perfect....and 5/16-18 is consistent with much of the other hardware...

Was it like an elevator bolt with the square base, or was it ribbed sort of like the road wheel studs?

While we are at it, what did you use for packing between the tank and the floor?

Posted by: calvinhunt
« on: August 03, 2013, 03:10:37 AM »

Quote
Quote

It would be interesting to learn what others have done....
I ended up using what I found in my original tub application.� It may have been changed but I was the 2nd registered owner and found most of my Jeep quite unchanged from the time it was built.� I found a 5/16-18 flat head bolt in a countersunk hole creating a smooth flush fit.� It seemed normal to me because in the aviation industry we often install flush fasteners.� I duplicated the same with new hardware.
Posted by: bretto
« on: August 02, 2013, 05:24:07 PM »

Quote
I found some "weld-nuts" and also T-nuts....the weld nuts sound similar to what you used...
Ya, it might of been that.
Posted by: athawk11
« on: August 02, 2013, 12:04:26 PM »

Quote
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDQnFYo8eug

Pull over, Pull over.....That's it Sir Hawridge...you are BUSTED!
I am the Jeep police now, .....you are cited for not being stock! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :'(

You're Killing Me HG....Absolutely Killing Me!! ;D ;)