The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Post reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it's been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Subject:
Message icon:

Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Write the word between words Jeep from this JeepWILLYSJeep?:
How many slot has a GPW grill?  7 - 9 - 11:

shortcuts: hit alt+s to submit/post or alt+p to preview


Topic Summary

Posted by: Bob W
« on: July 19, 2013, 08:10:24 PM »

Bendix joints need to be "held together" inside the knuckle. Therefore the Bendix joints use a thrust washer in the end of the tube as seen in Quebec Jeep's photo above. That takes care of one side. There were two different methods used on the outside. Early Bendix joints with the threaded ends had a shoulder on the outer shaft that went up against the drive flange. This shoulder held the joint together from the outside. The early spindle bushings did not have a shoulder. Later the Bendix outer shaft changed to a different design with no threaded end. These later shafts relied on the spindle bushing with the shoulder to hold it together. So the later Bendix axles also use the shouldered spindle bushings.
Posted by: Quebec Jeep
« on: July 19, 2013, 09:07:40 AM »

I can't really help here but I can show you what I have.

I have Bendix joint.

I have this one like Walck's described:
This is the front axle tube bushing that is pressed in the axle tube that is used with Bendix U joints. The bushing is made of brass and is only used with the U joint with the 5 balls. If a Spicer or Rezeppa joint is used this bushing is removed.

I think I have also the one for the spindle.
I will take a picture of the spindle during lunch time and add it here.
Walck's described:
Spindle Bushing that fits all models with the Rzeppa or Spicer front axle shafts. This bushing is bronze and goes in the spindle. These bushings are required if the Bendix style axle shafts are replaced with Spicer axles.
Posted by: 1955CJ-5
« on: July 18, 2013, 06:25:40 PM »

My spindles had the shouldered bushings, meant for the Rzeppa/Spicer axles....but it had Bendix axles, apparently from the factory as the Bendix tag was still on the original knuckle seal retainers....

I read somewhere that they are really interchangeable, but I don't remember where I read it.....
Posted by: PaulS
« on: July 18, 2013, 11:18:40 AM »

I was cleaning parts last night. (Real fun stuff, but it has to be done...)

I had four front knuckle spindles out--two each from an older D25 (off my CJ3A) and two from a newer D27 (presumably off a CJ5).  I noticed the bronze bushings looked different on each pair.  Looking at Walcks site, it says there's a different bushing for Bendix axle shafts than for Rzeppa/Spicer shafts.  But my shafts are Rzeppa in the D25 and Spicer in the D27.  Shouldn't these use the same bushings?  Would there be a problem interchanging the spindles?

I should have pictures, but I didn't take any last night.  It may be a few days before I can...

-Paul