The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Post reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it's been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Subject:
Message icon:

Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Write the word between words Jeep from this JeepWILLYSJeep?:
How many slot has a GPW grill?  7 - 9 - 11:

shortcuts: hit alt+s to submit/post or alt+p to preview


Topic Summary

Posted by: AZJeepNut
« on: June 01, 2013, 06:30:58 PM »

The casting number on the right side of the block is 641087-L-W10A. There is no engine number stamped on the right side of the block. The block has the small flange at the rear. The engine number was not visible on the water pump boss at the top front of the block when I bought it, but in the right light I could almost convince myself that there was a very faint hint of a number there. The over-stamp of the 8 and 7 is very close to where the top diagonal edge of the water pump casting would be if it was installed at the time the number was stamped. If I had to guess, I'd say that a previous owner stamped the number himself after it was machined off the top of the block. There would not have been enough room for the entire engine number so he omitted the prefix, then ran out of room anyway. So, if my WAG is right, and if it is a 3A block, that would give us a 3J08787 engine number. My vehicle serial number is 46284, well out of the skew range. So, maybe a WAG is just a WAG. Here's a couple more pics.
Posted by: 1955CJ-5
« on: June 01, 2013, 05:15:49 PM »

Originally I though the last figure was an up-side-down "B", but now I see it's a 7 on top of an 8.

Maybe someone's inventory number or a machine shop's tracking number.

Another mystery....
Posted by: F Bill
« on: June 01, 2013, 03:50:11 PM »

Without seeing the engine and casting numbers it is pretty hard to tellyou what you have there. That is not a number location and the original location appears to be numberless, assuming we are looking at the area the water pump bolts on.....Probably was milled and the original numbers are gone.

I can't tell you the significance of the numbers in your pic other than someone did it wrong and restamped one digit. The font looks older but whether it is a Willys font I can't say.
Posted by: AZJeepNut
« on: June 01, 2013, 02:38:40 PM »

Does anyone recognize this as a known number stamping location? Or possibly a re-stamp after the top of the block was surfaced? I've assumed that this is an early CJ-3A block. If that is a serial number re-stamp without the prefix, what can it tell us about when the engine was built? Just to complicate things a bit, the front engine mount plate is a 2A model and the frame is a 3A model with the mount adapter. The fuel pump is an aftermarket model without the vacuum boost, but there is a vacuum line running to the missing wipers, cut short on both ends. Could this be a late 2A engine that replaced the original 3A engine? These little mysteries drive me nuts!