The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Post reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it's been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Subject:
Message icon:

Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Write the word between words Jeep from this JeepWILLYSJeep?:
How many slot has a GPW grill?  7 - 9 - 11:

shortcuts: hit alt+s to submit/post or alt+p to preview


Topic Summary

Posted by: 1955CJ-5
« on: April 04, 2013, 08:19:12 PM »

Here is what was under the data plate....

Posted by: 1955CJ-5
« on: April 04, 2013, 11:30:39 AM »

I took the data plate off the dash to see what color was underneath, and it is silver but very yellowed. I'm now thinking that the tint I see is either sun or heat damage or both and is not part of the paint color....
Posted by: 1955CJ-5
« on: April 03, 2013, 07:36:45 PM »

They were black, then a layer of the original Bristol Red, same as under the tool box lid and under the dash, and then this color whatever it is, and then the silver.. This thing was repainted every time they added a layer of sheet metal...

I don't plan a complete repaint, I would just like to do the exterior and all the new steel, leaving the dash and all the crevices and corners as they are.... but a trip to the media blaster is still a possibility....
Posted by: Ryan_M
« on: April 03, 2013, 06:49:23 PM »

Hmmmm...that is different. Looks like a metallic color. Doesn't look original but I'll wait for others to chime in. Weren't the hood latches originally black anyways?
Posted by: 1955CJ-5
« on: April 03, 2013, 06:33:19 PM »

I don't know if you can see the difference. The paper is white, the broken piece of bondo is silver, and the latch is the gold tinted color....

Posted by: Ryan_M
« on: April 03, 2013, 06:24:05 PM »

The "Potomac Gray" I came up with for my '51 has a fair amount of yellow in the paint mix. It looks a little gold/yellowish, especially under garage fluorescent lights. Do you have a pic of the color you are describing?
Posted by: 1955CJ-5
« on: April 03, 2013, 06:20:22 PM »

I would not call it gold, it just sort of has a tint, it's not a bright silver or pure silver or a grey...I'll take a part into a paint shop and see what happens...it won't have a name though...
Posted by: garage gnome
« on: April 03, 2013, 05:59:38 PM »

Never saw a gold jeep. Here are the paint chip charts.

http://www.cj3apage.com/index/Tech_Tips/willys_paint_chips.htm
Posted by: 1955CJ-5
« on: April 03, 2013, 05:54:30 PM »

I know this has probably been discussed before....but a search didn't turn up much.

Anyone seen a jeep painted Gold Beige?  My 51 was originally Bristol Red, as near as I can tell. But it's been repainted a couple of times. The exterior is an unknown silver, but the interior/dash is sort of a gold or bronze like silver. Kind of a sliver with a gold tint. does that ring any bells?? I tried to get a picture of the two colors side by side but the picture just looks like one uniform color....

I'm thinking that it is an original jeep color because I just bought two used CJ2a/3a hood latches on ebay and they are the same silver/gold color, almost a perfect match.. too much of a coincidence..

Thanks,

Randy