The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Post reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it's been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Subject:
Message icon:

Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Write the word between words Jeep from this JeepWILLYSJeep?:
How many slot has a GPW grill?  7 - 9 - 11:

shortcuts: hit alt+s to submit/post or alt+p to preview


Topic Summary

Posted by: Jesse
« on: February 12, 2013, 08:06:43 PM »

I think we bought the tigertop from Gunslinger, and it just sat around the shed because I didn't want to drill holes in my jeep either. Being stainless it would have been a lot more work for me to not like it later. Ultimately I kept a shredded top and hardware from a later CJ5 with the intention of copying it in canvas. The tigertop got sold again this fall.

-Jesse
Posted by: Gunslinger
« on: February 02, 2013, 10:22:33 AM »

Ryan,
You have a very nice jeep, I also struggled with this problem, bought the tiger top and started the install,  hated it.  I have since gone a different direction,  I bought a top from jpet, on the 2a page, he makes several varieties, also makes the original style bows, you may have to get your own door hardware.  It's a great period looking top, and its pretty affordable, also I did not have to wait a year after ordering to get it.

My 2 centavos
Todd
Posted by: garage gnome
« on: February 01, 2013, 07:34:30 PM »

Quote
Quote
Quote
A Bikini top won't keep ya very warm. �:D

I beg to differ. I run one on the Jalopy and drive that year round on the trails. I never put a tranny tunnel cover on it, so all the hot air from the engines blows up in there. It does stay fairly warm under the top and the windshield stays defrosted too. If you get out to clear the trail or something, you will notice the difference. Doesn't seem like it would work, but it does! Also, the header collection tubes are right below the floorboards, so my feet stay warm too. �8-) In the summer time, I fold the windshield down and leave the top off, so no more heater!

Now you realize headers, a V6, and an open tranny cover constitute cheating on the cab warming issue... ;D ;D ;D 8-)

I have a feeling �your red jeep wouldn't be quite so warm on a zero degree day if you left off the doors and back of your top. (I could be wrong tho, as I don't have as much experience as you in driving in the cold with a flatty. I do remember the Cj5 I sold to Mike C would be plenty warm inside with the doors open when I was plowing..as long as it was in the twenties or above. For those who never got to see that jeep it was a half cab metal top with almost no floor left. I had mats and plywood to make it less flintstone like.

You are so right Bill! Though, my '49 is heated the same way with a metal half cab that has doors and it is ok in there. The window fogs up though.
Posted by: johnrb3b
« on: February 01, 2013, 05:29:40 PM »

Looks like a Tiger Top to me.

compare:
http://home.comcast.net/~jrburch_h/jeep/jeep.html

On the subject of magnets holding it:
I doubt it unless you've got some GONZO magnets.
I say this because my Tiger Top has shrunk a bit and it's stretched TIGHT. It would pull a magnet sideways with no trouble.
Posted by: gmcjr
« on: February 01, 2013, 02:03:42 PM »




This is my bestop, maybe y'all can help me out, does this look like a tiger top? I think its older. I bought for $60 from a fellow who had in his garage. The windows where pretty yellow. �IMHO, a canvas top looks ten times better on a restored Jeep, if I had the money its the way I would go. Mines far from restored,its a driver. The bestop was the best thing I put on it (I do not like cold weather, I must've been born a Texan for a reason), besides the price was right. The only thing I didn't care about the top was all the holes for the snaps, (as mentioned ). I used pop rivets instead of screws, so I didn't have a bunch of pointed ends sticking in the cab.
Posted by: F Bill
« on: February 01, 2013, 01:32:40 PM »

Quote
Quote
A Bikini top won't keep ya very warm. �:D

I beg to differ. I run one on the Jalopy and drive that year round on the trails. I never put a tranny tunnel cover on it, so all the hot air from the engines blows up in there. It does stay fairly warm under the top and the windshield stays defrosted too. If you get out to clear the trail or something, you will notice the difference. Doesn't seem like it would work, but it does! Also, the header collection tubes are right below the floorboards, so my feet stay warm too. �8-) In the summer time, I fold the windshield down and leave the top off, so no more heater!

Now you realize headers, a V6, and an open tranny cover constitute cheating on the cab warming issue... ;D ;D ;D 8-)

I have a feeling �your red jeep wouldn't be quite so warm on a zero degree day if you left off the doors and back of your top. (I could be wrong tho, as I don't have as much experience as you in driving in the cold with a flatty. I do remember the Cj5 I sold to Mike C would be plenty warm inside with the doors open when I was plowing..as long as it was in the twenties or above. For those who never got to see that jeep it was a half cab metal top with almost no floor left. I had mats and plywood to make it less flintstone like.
Posted by: garage gnome
« on: February 01, 2013, 01:18:20 PM »

Quote
A Bikini top won't keep ya very warm. �:D

I beg to differ. I run one on the Jalopy and drive that year round on the trails. I never put a tranny tunnel cover on it, so all the hot air from the engines blows up in there. It does stay fairly warm under the top and the windshield stays defrosted too. If you get out to clear the trail or something, you will notice the difference. Doesn't seem like it would work, but it does! Also, the header collection tubes are right below the floorboards, so my feet stay warm too.  8-) In the summer time, I fold the windshield down and leave the top off, so no more heater!
Posted by: F Bill
« on: February 01, 2013, 12:08:31 PM »

Is there any way to use heavy duty magnets to seal the bottom of the Tigertop? Like the others I really dislike all the holes needed for them. I think you would still need to screw the windshield area retainers to the jeep. or any door hardware.

Maybe your best bet would be to sell the Tigertop and use the proceeds to partially pay for a new Life or Beachwood or jPet top. By the looks of your avatar you do have a need for a top, perhaps a half cab in canvas or a steel hardtop for the winter might be more economical. A Bikini top won't keep ya very warm.  :D
Posted by: garage gnome
« on: February 01, 2013, 11:08:11 AM »

I added two footman loops on the back of my 53 for a bikini top. I never did end up putting one on. That is the only temporary top I would use.
Posted by: Ryan_M
« on: February 01, 2013, 11:04:04 AM »

When I started this project I wasn't nearly as concerned with an authentic look as I am now that it's nearly complete. I think if I was going to just keep it as a real driver (like Carl's) I'd slap a Bestop on and be done with it. If I didn't have to drill holes I would probably still install it now as a placeholder until I get a canvas one. It's the drilling that will stop me from doing it. My Jeep is anything but a show quality trailer queen but I can't bear poking any extra holes in it. Looks like I better start saving my pennies for a canvas top.

I saw online somewhere plans for a non-invasive bikini top. I believe some guy used a CJ-5 Bestop bikini and rigged up some bows that didn't need drilling. I may try something like that for awhile.

Thanks for the input.
Posted by: johnrb3b
« on: February 01, 2013, 10:55:22 AM »

Yup, lots of drilling, it's vinyl not canvas, goes up and down in an inconvenient way (see hassle).
They are well made and work well. I'm happy with mine, but my Jeep isn't a show room restoration - not by a million miles. �:D

Maybe you should talk to Beachwood Canvas.
Probably won't be cheap but they do great work.
Posted by: garage gnome
« on: February 01, 2013, 06:02:53 AM »

You asked for it, so here is my .02 about those type of tops on a restored Jeep. I don't care for them at all. They look like spandex. The canvas top just makes them look more rugged. And I don't like all those buttons all over the place.

After I finished mine, I did consider putting one on. I'm so glad I didn't though and saved up for a canvas top. It was hard enough drilling holes for the footman loops.
Posted by: athawk11
« on: January 31, 2013, 11:31:33 PM »

Wait a minute...are you talking about your Willys?? �A Tiger Top on your beautiful Patomac Gray Jeep??????? �Say it isn't so!!! ;)

I'm not trying to spend your money, but in all honesty, your Willys deserves the best. �And I'm not talking about 'Best Top'. �

I've enjoyed your movies...er...short films, but please don't post one with you drilling through your tub. �I couldn't bare it. :'( :'( :'(

Tim
Posted by: duffer
« on: January 31, 2013, 09:38:26 PM »

yep, if you want it to fit well and function properly, you will need to drill for both the snaps, bow brackets, and the rear door rods.  While the TigerTop may be the best one available, IMO there are a few things I really don't care for-the funky door rods/stays that are permanently attached to each other being one of them.  Almost impossible for one person to either raise or lower top without putting a ding in the body rails unless you tape them up.  Both the old Whitco and Bestops with individual rods were a much better solution, even if they did rattle.

If you just want a good water tight top with relatively good longevity, the Tigertop still beats canvas and you can get replacement parts very readily.
Posted by: Carls_jeep
« on: January 31, 2013, 09:35:56 PM »

I think the Bestops are a good top. I have a top on my Jeep just like the Bestop and I have a spare Bestop when this one wears out. Both my tops are White. My Jeep isn't a show room Jeep so drilling for the snaps didn't bother me. You can see the top on my Jeep in my avatar.