The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Post reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it's been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Subject:
Message icon:

Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Write the word between words Jeep from this JeepWILLYSJeep?:
How many slot has a GPW grill?  7 - 9 - 11:

shortcuts: hit alt+s to submit/post or alt+p to preview


Topic Summary

Posted by: 49willyz
« on: November 13, 2012, 05:38:37 PM »

Yes I will. Working off a cell phone here. I'll get them better when I post this weekend
Posted by: Carls_jeep
« on: November 13, 2012, 04:57:02 PM »

Would you please resize your photo's before posting them.
Posted by: RICKG
« on: November 13, 2012, 12:51:24 PM »

It might be worthwhile to note that the military L-134 engine front plate is different from the
Civvy front plate (when installed in M-38). The cutout @ forward of the fuel pump is larger and the lower ears at the
front motor mounts are oriented differently. Dont know if this translates to the front plate
when used as a genny or not.. Check the engine SN @ the front of waterpump-if prefixed by
MC its a military engine.
Posted by: 49willyz
« on: November 13, 2012, 12:23:05 PM »

Yes I will get some numbers from it this weekend and let you guys have at it! Thanks for the info so far. And yes that is a 6v distributor. Keep it coming gentlemen and again, thanks
Posted by: Bob W
« on: November 13, 2012, 09:56:43 AM »

We can tell more about this engine from the casting and serial numbers. When you get it home let us know what the numbers are.
Posted by: Bob W
« on: November 13, 2012, 09:54:38 AM »

Some of the generators used a 6V waterproof Autolite distributor that looks like the distributor on this engine. There should be a tag on the distributor.

The do-dad is a Cuno oil filter. The same filter was standard on all M-38s. The "element" consists of thin metal plates stacked on each other. When the T handle is rotated every other plate rotates and so the dirt particles are scraped from the element and fall to the bottom where they are drained out by removing the plug.
Posted by: rocketeer
« on: November 13, 2012, 09:25:17 AM »

Willys powered gennys are fairly common and usually the engines make good transplants since running a genny is easy duty. However, if the engine sat in the weather, uncovered, then it's no better than any other Willys engine that sat out. While the basic engine is the same there are some differences. The intake manifold and carb are almost always different and need to be replaced. If it has a head marked "Industrial" that is a lower compression head and should be replaced. In some instances the pullys can be different which would also require replacement. The good news is that all of that from the old engine will bolt right on. By the way, the designation for the Willys powered genny was PE-95.

Maybe Bob W will jump in here. I don't recollect seeing that type of water-proof ignition on a genny before and what the heck is that do-dad on the right front? Looks like a pressure regulator of some kind right where the oil filter would be.

Larry
Posted by: 49willyz
« on: November 13, 2012, 09:10:13 AM »

Pic 5
Posted by: 49willyz
« on: November 13, 2012, 09:08:41 AM »

Pic 4
Posted by: 49willyz
« on: November 13, 2012, 09:07:07 AM »

Pic 3
Posted by: 49willyz
« on: November 13, 2012, 09:06:17 AM »

Pic 2
Posted by: 49willyz
« on: November 13, 2012, 09:04:50 AM »

I'm well aware that the military purposed these motors for many applications but does anyone know if they were used as generator motors? A buddy of mine was at an auction and came across this guy selling a generator powered by this go-devil. He knew mine was torn down to the block and how tight my budget was and called me immediately. I told him to make the owner an offer and I'm now the proud owner of a strong running motor for a dirt cheap price. I need the experts here to tell me what I have and what I may face installing this in a civilian 3a as I have no idea the year or if there were specific mods done to a military motor purposed as a generator. I'll attach the pics he's sent me to date and will be heading out to his place to pick it up over the weekend and can get more info if needed. Thanks guys.