The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Post reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it's been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Subject:
Message icon:

Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Write the word between words Jeep from this JeepWILLYSJeep?:
How many slot has a GPW grill?  7 - 9 - 11:

shortcuts: hit alt+s to submit/post or alt+p to preview


Topic Summary

Posted by: F Bill
« on: July 11, 2012, 10:31:06 AM »

Hey Redrockman, would you be interested in making a how to post on welding up broken bolt holes, etc.. in the new FAQ section? It sounds like you have some proven techniques that would be great to share with all!
Posted by: Redrockman
« on: July 11, 2012, 02:03:45 AM »

This is not a hard fix, today's specialty welding rods work wonders!!!!!

Take a bolt of the same size and coat it with carbon from an oxy/act torch that is only burning the fuel, no oxygen. That will coat the bolt and you can then screw the bolt into the hole. Then you can weld right over the broken part and you will have built up enough metal to replace what was lost.

If by chance the bolt will not unscrew after the repair, cut the bolt almost flush and drill and tap the bolt out. Use a soft bolt one with no marks on the head of the bolt, DO NOT USE GRADE 8 BOLTS............

That's how i repair cracked cases at my shop, cast iron, aluminum, it's the same process.

Redrockman
Posted by: NoCoWillys
« on: July 11, 2012, 12:23:54 AM »

Truer words have never been spoken! �Here's the broken part of the case. �I guess it was a little more than 1/4.

Posted by: calvinhunt
« on: July 11, 2012, 12:09:12 AM »

A picture here really would be worth a thousand words.  If there is just the small piece missing (1/4 of the bolt's threaded surface) and there is no crack going from the broken out bolt hole into the side of the case, I'm sure it will not leak. If there is no other reason to reject the tranny case than that, I would reuse it.
Posted by: NoCoWillys
« on: July 10, 2012, 11:37:18 PM »

Thanks!  I pulled everything apart on my t18 and my cluster gear on the 1st gear is badly worn as well as the reverse gear.  was hard to tell until I got it all apart.  Looks like I'll have to replace them.  Now, one thing I noticed when I pulled everything apart is someone must have over tightened the top cover at one point because the case has a chunk missing right were one of the middle bolts goes through.  Most of the meat is there, but maybe 1/4 of the bolt doesn't have anything to grip on.  My question is if I can live with this or will I forever be fighting leaks and further issues?  Should I look for a new case?
Posted by: Carls_jeep
« on: July 10, 2012, 08:34:46 PM »

You won't regret rebuilding the tranny and transfer cases. This is a good site for the tranny http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/t90_rebuild.htm. Be sure to use NOS or American made parts to rebuild them. If you use Import parts you will regret it.
Posted by: NoCoWillys
« on: July 10, 2012, 12:09:55 AM »

Looks like I'm going to have to do a rebuild anyways.  :'(  My dumb self didn't read the manual before separating the t90 and the d18 and let everything fall apart.  I didn't read the critical part of disconnecting the transfer case side from inside and tried to pull them apart.  Live an learn.  No reason not to go through everything now that it's all apart and ready to clean.  At least everything is apart now (plus a couple quarts of oil on my garage floor...).   ;D
Posted by: Carls_jeep
« on: July 09, 2012, 11:06:37 PM »

I prefer Novaks for tranny parts and gaskets.
Posted by: NoCoWillys
« on: July 09, 2012, 02:53:10 PM »

I'm about to partially dismantle my transfer case and transmission to clean and paint. I've been looking at different seal kits at walcks and novak and wanted to know people opinions. Everything works good I just need to seal up some leaks.