The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Post reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it's been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Subject:
Message icon:

Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Write the word between words Jeep from this JeepWILLYSJeep?:
How many slot has a GPW grill?  7 - 9 - 11:

shortcuts: hit alt+s to submit/post or alt+p to preview


Topic Summary

Posted by: macrisel
« on: July 06, 2012, 12:52:55 PM »

Looks great!  More power to the shade tree mechanic!
Posted by: Ryan_M
« on: July 04, 2012, 06:36:39 AM »

Quote
Very nice Ryan. � �8-) 8-) �Looks perfect. There is something very personally satisfying when completing these tasks. �If you're like me, �I just stared at my grille all night once I got to this point. �

 Have I said how much I like that gray?

Tim

I like the gray too...but after one of your other posts now I REALLY hate my radiator cap.
Posted by: athawk11
« on: July 03, 2012, 11:43:58 PM »

Very nice Ryan. � �8-) 8-) �Looks perfect. There is something very personally satisfying when completing these tasks. �If you're like me, �I just stared at my grille all night once I got to this point. �

 Have I said how much I like that gray?

Tim
Posted by: Ryan_M
« on: July 03, 2012, 11:17:41 PM »

Macrisel & Athawk - I just installed my grille and the welting tonight. Thanks to your advice in this post it actually came out the way I intended. The hot nail trick and the vice grips are critical. Who knows what kind of disaster it would have turned into if left to my own ingenuity. Thanks guys!

Posted by: athawk11
« on: March 12, 2012, 11:44:59 AM »

Oooh,  I like Macs idea.  The fraying was a concern for me when I was cutting a slot for the rivet.  That welting is pretty tough.

Tim
Posted by: macrisel
« on: March 12, 2012, 11:38:47 AM »

Tim describes the procedure very well.  The only other thing I did was take a nail, heat it with a small MAPP torch and then use that to burn a hole through the welting.  That leaves a clean hole with sealed edges so it won't fray.  

Start "riveting" at one end and work your way to the other keeping the welting pulled tight and straight and trim off the excess.  It's not a hard procedure, but it does take a little time and patience.
Posted by: Jesse
« on: March 10, 2012, 01:54:42 AM »

I took a set of those pliers with the slot to open them up a notch and added weld to each side of the jaws. This way the throat of them was open enough to clear the sheet metal but they still pinched fully closed.

-Jesse
Posted by: garage gnome
« on: March 09, 2012, 01:05:14 PM »

I too did what Tim said on my '53.
Posted by: athawk11
« on: March 09, 2012, 10:21:47 AM »

CJ,

You don't need to buy a $30.00 tool.  A vise grip and a large flat screw driver will do the trick.  

Poke the hole through the welt.
  
Insert the rivet.  Catch the underside edge of the of the grill with the vise grip (use some padding if freshly painted)  and with leverage, press the rivet top with the othe jaw of the vise grip.

Hold this position while you use a large standard screw diver to spread the rivet open as much as you can.  Once the rivet is slightly spread, use the vise grip to finish the crimp.  

I had a freshly painted grill.  Not wanting to scratch it up, I brought it inside, set up on a carpet and a blanket for extra protection.

It's a little tricky, but once you get the routine down, it will go pretty quick.


Tim
Posted by: CJJay
« on: March 09, 2012, 12:36:27 AM »

any one have a way to compress the fasteners used to hold down thw grill welting?