The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Post reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it's been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Subject:
Message icon:

Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Write the word between words Jeep from this JeepWILLYSJeep?:
How many slot has a GPW grill?  7 - 9 - 11:

shortcuts: hit alt+s to submit/post or alt+p to preview


Topic Summary

Posted by: calvinhunt
« on: March 29, 2012, 01:55:07 AM »

CJJay,
 ï¿½I have located a source from which Bob W (Bob Westerman) may have obtained the photo on page 29 in his book. �It is in the WILLYS OVERLAND PARTS LIST For Jeep Models CJ-2A and 3A, Third Edition, Copyright 1949 located on page 105. �Below the picture on page 105 a legend or key is included which gives next to the photo reference number both a part number and a description. �I have scanned it and posted it here. �The legend is in much smaller print so when I scanned it I first enlarged it by 130% so the whole legend is in view and then enlarged it by 200% so that item 34 is readable (barely) here on the 3A page. �Here it is verified that as Bob W indicated above, item number 34 is the head light switch. �Also in view is item 20, the foot starter (Rod, starter). �I found the Willys PARTS LIST to be very helpful during the 3A restoration project. �If you don't yet have one I would strongly suggest that you add it to the Jeep manuals you do have.  When you check with Walcks this is what you'll find.  One more suggestion, when rocketeer gives advice, take it.  It won't take you long as a member here to learn that he is a powerhouse of knowledge and resources when it comes to our little Willys Jeeps.  Good luck on your Jeep project!! Keep us posted.



Posted by: Carls_jeep
« on: March 28, 2012, 11:14:05 PM »

CJJay, some industrious Bubba has been actively modifying your Jeep.
Posted by: rocketeer
« on: March 28, 2012, 09:29:51 PM »

OK, I give up, I guess we're not telling it right.

Larry
Posted by: CJJay
« on: March 28, 2012, 08:45:02 PM »

you may be right but my head light switch is black like the throttle and choke and the button is silver and looks like the one in the pictureit's also in he same relitive place, but so is the light switch. I also have a second switch that looks like the light but is just a singe position off/on. I think it is for the dash light.  I'll figure it out. I'm going to call Walcks tomorrw for some insight.
Posted by: Carls_jeep
« on: March 28, 2012, 05:56:03 PM »

Since these Jeeps have been built a lot of Bubba's have been real busy making changes a reasonable person could never imagine.
Posted by: rocketeer
« on: March 28, 2012, 09:48:14 AM »

From Bob's website:



Larry
Posted by: Bob W
« on: March 28, 2012, 06:20:24 AM »

Quote
The picture of the 3A dash is on page 29 in westermans book. It clearly shows a push button on the left side of the steering wheel

I'm not seeing any push buttons? To the left of the steering wheel is Item 34, the head light switch.
Posted by: hawkjeep
« on: March 27, 2012, 11:26:33 PM »

I got the same starter  on my 1950
Posted by: rocketeer
« on: March 27, 2012, 10:22:17 PM »

Keep in mind that whichever starter you settle on, the flywheel ring gears are different and need to match.

If you hang in there I'm sure Bob W(esterman) will be chiming in soon about the pic in his book.

Larry
Posted by: CJJay
« on: March 27, 2012, 09:31:55 PM »

I thought I had sent in a reply this afternoon but it's not here so here is the info. The picture of the 3A dash is on page 29 in westermans book. It clearly shows a push button on the left side of the steering wheeWhen I got home I looked at the other starter I have and it has not got foot pedal switch on it and is the type that the bendix come out when it turns on. it has a 10 tooth bendix not a nine. then I put the foot style starter on and th pedal linkage doesn't remotely hook up At he present time I think i'll just finish the engine and wory about he starter later.
Posted by: garage gnome
« on: March 27, 2012, 11:53:13 AM »

Quote
Quote
the book is at work so I'll let you know tomorrow. will electricity push the bendex out with out the assistance of the lever.
Not if it's factory original. The lever engages the bendix and then it pushes the plunger on the switch which activates the starter electrically. Anything different than that is a modification in which case we need to see pictures of exactly what you've got.

Larry

The idiot I got my '49 from thought the starter was screwed up. He pushed just the button by hand to show me. Uh huh sure. He didn't know much about old jeeps. Yes the lever is important.
Posted by: rocketeer
« on: March 27, 2012, 07:33:50 AM »

Quote
the book is at work so I'll let you know tomorrow. will electricity push the bendex out with out the assistance of the lever.
Not if it's factory original. The lever engages the bendix and then it pushes the plunger on the switch which activates the starter electrically. Anything different than that is a modification in which case we need to see pictures of exactly what you've got.

Larry
Posted by: CJJay
« on: March 26, 2012, 10:51:03 PM »

the book is at work so I'll let you know tomorrow. will electricity push the bendex out with out the assistance of the lever.
Posted by: Bob W
« on: March 26, 2012, 08:04:49 PM »

Quote
I have Westermans book and he has a picture of the 3A dash and it shows the push button so I assume it should be on it and work.

What page is the photo on so we can all take a look?

Thanks,
Posted by: CJJay
« on: March 26, 2012, 12:44:29 PM »

Thanks for the picture, I took the mechanical connection off my starter and cleaned it up so I fully understand how that works. There is an insulated hole on the engine side of this selenoid and the only way I can figure that the push button on the left side of the steering wheel would work is if a 12 gage wire was run from the contact on the starter not the outside of the selenoid to the push button. I read some one elses information and they said that if you don't use the foot lever the starter will burn up from trying to push the bendix to the ring gear. I have Westermans book and he has a picture of the 3A dash and it shows the push button so I assume it should be on it and work.