The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Post reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it's been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Subject:
Message icon:

Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Write the word between words Jeep from this JeepWILLYSJeep?:
How many slot has a GPW grill?  7 - 9 - 11:

shortcuts: hit alt+s to submit/post or alt+p to preview


Topic Summary

Posted by: F Bill
« on: August 16, 2011, 05:56:49 PM »

Larry and Redrockman are right. Locking strip on the outside. There is a special tool for the strip that makes life easy....but probably not worth buying for just one windshield.
Posted by: Redrockman
« on: August 07, 2011, 12:58:20 AM »

If i'm not mistaken here on the windshield gasket orientation, the locking strip goes outwards as in facing out not in. Reason in the event the vehicle gets into a major impact the glass will eject outwards not in your lap!!!

Used to install auto glass, and that's what i was told, years ago............. hey maybe i got it bass ackwards ;) ;) ;)
Posted by: Ranger41
« on: August 06, 2011, 10:03:58 PM »

Thanks.  I'll put this information to use.
Posted by: rocketeer
« on: August 06, 2011, 07:02:22 PM »

Posted by: kendak
« on: August 06, 2011, 05:10:04 PM »

take it to the local auto glass shop & tell them to install with strip in...my time is worth way more than they will charge & they have the know how & tools....JMO....Kent
Posted by: TomJ
« on: August 06, 2011, 07:36:24 AM »

Hey Ranger:
I thought I'd comment cause my son and I just installed the glass in our's yesterday.  We put the gasket on the inside and I was just going by what I had seen up to this point. All the pictures I've seen and the jeeps I've seen had it that way and I just assumed it helped keep dirt and bugs out of the little cracks that are there after you get done. If it's any help to you we struggled with it for a couple of days and found that what worked for us was to install the rubber around the windshield frame first then lub it up real well (we used dish soap) then use something to open the slot (we took a plastic turkey baster and cut the end off so the rubber gasket part would feed through it) and I went along the slot opening it while my son fed the gasket in and pressed it into the channel.
Was frustrating but we got it done, I'm sure others may have a better way but that worked for us.
Good Luck!!

Tom

PS also by doing it that way we found out the part that seated the glass didn't have to be cut down to fit, which we almost did when we tried putting it on the glass first.  saved me having to buy another one or having two seams.
Posted by: Ranger41
« on: August 05, 2011, 10:24:45 PM »

I'm in the process of replacing the windshield on my CJ3A. �It may have been replaced before. �The windshield gasket has a thinner piece of rubber inset into it to lock the larger gasket it in place. �When I removed my old one, this smaller inset gasket was on the front (outside). �I've come across some indiction that this inset strip of rubber is suppose to be inside (facing the driver). �It seems to make sense for it to be facing the driver, and out of the weather, so I'm questioning how it was arranged when I took it apart. �Thoughts?

Also, any guidance on replacing the windshield would be appreciated. �I've seen some info on using a cord to hold the gasket in place. �Thanks.