The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Post reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it's been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Subject:
Message icon:

Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Write the word between words Jeep from this JeepWILLYSJeep?:
How many slot has a GPW grill?  7 - 9 - 11:

shortcuts: hit alt+s to submit/post or alt+p to preview


Topic Summary

Posted by: mrman5917
« on: July 03, 2011, 04:09:56 PM »

Every so often I take a look on ebay and parts boards for a WO carb. But, it seems that there were multiple "modles" with different patent numbers and/or from WWII vs. CJs. Does it matter as long as it's a W-O? I assume they would all work about the same. Any major reason to look for a certain kind? I've got a solex now that I'd love to replace with a W-O.
Posted by: Chasm
« on: June 20, 2011, 06:25:02 PM »

I started off rebuilding my original W/O and then came across a NOS W/O for $75. �:)
It runs like a champ. Nevere even gave a Solex a thought!
Posted by: jamesr
« on: June 19, 2011, 11:31:06 AM »

My WO needed a rebuild bad, but, but being in a hurry, I purchased a new Solex 15 years ago.  It still purrs.  No bogging, no hesitation. I recently purchased a second Solex (slightly used) as a back up, but beleive it to be an India knock-off of Solex, as there are no markings on it whatsoever, but in all aspects of appearance it is the same.  I have not tried it. I still have the original WO, and will rebuild it to compare the 3 with, at some point in time.  Jim
Posted by: Carls_jeep
« on: June 18, 2011, 10:36:52 PM »

When I rebuilt my WO the throttle shaft and bore were worn out so I had to make a new throttle shaft and ream the shaft hole. Then I found the choke shaft slightly worn so I made a new choke shaft and reamed the shaft hole. It runs just fine now with the new shafts and kit.

Just how many carbs need rebuilding? Is there really a demand for that work?
Posted by: BradleyDP
« on: June 18, 2011, 07:01:46 PM »

Did not know there was retro fitting for the Solex. Ok who is the best to rebuild my WO? I bought a rebuild kit a few years ago. I am NO mechanic or expert on this. But seemed to work fine after my rebuild. Until I had my engine rebuilt. I see all the flaws now! My mechanic "Old Inline Motors" says I should use www.armyjeepparts.com to rebuild.  Have been told he is the King of Jeeps. Or go for the Solex.

Rebuild I think is between $250-$350 - Compared to $130 for Solex with no core turn in??
Posted by: Carls_jeep
« on: June 18, 2011, 05:20:51 PM »

Yes, use the Carter WO and about 15 mpg is about it. Remember, these Jeeps run 5 something to one gears in the rear ends.
Posted by: rocketeer
« on: June 18, 2011, 04:54:16 PM »

Stick with the WO. As mentioned, Solex has different fuel pressure requirements than a WO and you will need to add a pressure regulator, which is just one more thing to go wrong.

There are a number of variables involved in fuel mileage; engine condition, weather conditions, altitude, carb condition, and how the vehicle is driven including at what speed. In addition, thanks to the EPA poking it's nose into things it doesn't understand, ethanol will reduce your mileage, on the average by about 11% soooo, 15mpg may be as good as it gets.

Larry
Posted by: aboyandhisdog
« on: June 18, 2011, 02:04:50 PM »

I have had both:
  First had the Carter on my 3A.  It needed new bushings and leaked fuel so I knew I had to make some changes.  I bought a new Solex thinking my MPG would improve from the 15 I got with the Carter.  No such luck.  Still got only 15 MPG.  The performance was the same as well.  Also, no high speed adjustment screws on the Solex - just like the Carter.   On the Solex, you cannot attach the hand throttle cable - well, you can but it will work against the footfeet and bind up when you use the footfeet.  Very strange to be pressing down on the gas pedal and have the hand throttle come out towards you and then not glide back in easily.  

So, I bought a rebuilt WO from Overland.  It works good but still only 15 MPG.  The performance is the same as the Solex, but now I have the hand throttle.  And it looks right.

There are virtually NO parts available for the Solex.  Even the dealers who sell them can't get any parts.  That alone should be enough reason to stick with the Carter.

I would be curious to know from others on this forum...what is your gas mileage???  Is 15 MPG the best I can hope for?
Posted by: F Bill
« on: June 18, 2011, 12:56:19 PM »

Solex needs to have a fuel pressure regulator and has an enrichment system, not a choke plate for starting that takes getting used to.  A new Solex will run better than a ratty Carter  but if both carbs are in the same condition I wouldn't think there would be much difference you could feel. Solexes stick out like a sore thumb sometimes, especially if they are shiny new...
Posted by: BradleyDP
« on: June 18, 2011, 12:20:49 PM »

I would like some opinions on the pros and cons of a solex vs. carter carburetor.
I hear the solex runs better and low maintenance.
Maybe run the solex - but fix up the WO for show?

Anyway love to hear from you.