The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Post reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it's been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Subject:
Message icon:

Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Write the word between words Jeep from this JeepWILLYSJeep?:
How many slot has a GPW grill?  7 - 9 - 11:

shortcuts: hit alt+s to submit/post or alt+p to preview


Topic Summary

Posted by: macrisel
« on: May 16, 2011, 09:36:59 AM »

Wow, it looks great!  I decided to go with a basecoat/clearcoat also and can't wait to see how it turns out.  I was worried it might have too much gloss and depth, but now that I see yours I can't wait to finish up!
Posted by: jamesr
« on: May 14, 2011, 09:00:31 AM »

rebuilding the steering gear box, new pitman arm, and bellcrank is not hard to do.  also measure and shim for the proper "drag" at the steering knuckles. Jim
Posted by: Weedhopper
« on: May 13, 2011, 05:26:57 PM »

The color is a match to the original, Woodstock Green Poly. I was lucky and found original paint in excellent condition on the lower inside surfaces of the fenders. PPG couldn't locate a paint mix code but they were able to use their color matching scanner on the original paint to come up with a mix. Its a 2 stage base coat - clear coat that we sprayed in an airport hanger.

The tires are 9.00x30 R15 BFG Mud Terrain K/Os, the rims are from a 70's era Scout (That hurts but I like the look).

The two outstanding problems are the clocking of the distributor, I can't get the timing marks to come together. It runs great as it is, smooth and lots of power (for  60 horses). It sounds like I'll have to pull the oil pump and distributor and re-install them in the correct relationship.

The second problem is sloppy steering. I totally rebuilt the steering system from the tie rod ends to the steering wheel. I think its the centering of the worm gear and cross shaft.

Posted by: jamesr
« on: May 13, 2011, 11:46:22 AM »

Really nice!  Good job!  Jim
Posted by: Howitser
« on: May 13, 2011, 07:22:45 AM »

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet !!
Posted by: Gunslinger
« on: May 12, 2011, 09:37:43 PM »

That is a really nice job!!!  I really like those tires, what are they?  I've got a set of light truck radials on mine, but the tread is no where near as aggresive as those, love em !!
Posted by: Matto
« on: May 12, 2011, 08:28:49 PM »

Nice Job! Was the original color Emerald green? Is that a match to the original color?
Posted by: Carls_jeep
« on: May 12, 2011, 07:36:06 PM »

Yes sir, that's a mighty fine looking job you did.
Posted by: 3aJeeper
« on: May 12, 2011, 06:31:37 PM »

Wow. That's really nice! Hope my rebuild is half that good looking.
Posted by: Weedhopper
« on: May 12, 2011, 05:31:31 PM »

I've owned my CJ3a since high school and been re-building it for the last 3 years. It sat unused for the last 10 years due to various reasons, it's nice to have it running again.

I've never posted pictures so I hope this works.

http://s1135.photobucket.com/albums/m638/53willyscj3a/