The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Post reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it's been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Subject:
Message icon:

Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Write the word between words Jeep from this JeepWILLYSJeep?:
How many slot has a GPW grill?  7 - 9 - 11:

shortcuts: hit alt+s to submit/post or alt+p to preview


Topic Summary

Posted by: rocketeer
« on: May 12, 2011, 04:09:42 PM »



Larry
Posted by: Carls_jeep
« on: May 12, 2011, 11:53:23 AM »

The synchronizer AND the end play in the rear bearing of the main shaft contribute to jumping out of gear. You can replace the synchronizer and if you don't shim the rear bearing to eliminate excess end play it will still jump out of 2nd gear.

Posted by: Tumbleweed
« on: May 12, 2011, 11:29:29 AM »

From all the information I have seen if the transmission (T90) pops out of 2nd gear the most common cause is the syncronizer gears. Am I to assume (I know this is dangerous) that I need to replace the sync. springs and the 3 teeth as well? How about the poppet springs in the shifter assembly? This is the problem on my wagon but I am also rebuilding my transmission on the 49 CJ.

Also the pilot bushing in the main shaft, should I replace or leave it in.  I don't know what the tolerence / play it should have with the mating reverse shaft.

Thanks, George