The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Post reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it's been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Subject:
Message icon:

Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Write the word between words Jeep from this JeepWILLYSJeep?:
How many slot has a GPW grill?  7 - 9 - 11:

shortcuts: hit alt+s to submit/post or alt+p to preview


Topic Summary

Posted by: Gunslinger
« on: April 16, 2011, 08:04:36 AM »

Hey guys, good stuff, we put the jeep up on the rack this week and pulled pan, lots of wear metal in the pan, now remember, this engine has about 15 miles on it.  We dropped center bearing cap and wooowee, this bearing looks like its got 100K on it.  worn down to the copper in a couple places, the crank is ok but we are going to hae to repolish it.  Botom line is the motor is coming back out this weekend, and going back to the guy who built it for me.  It also looks like there is some kind of grit in the pan, so maybe when it was boiled out they missed a pocket of grit.  Any way ground zero, but I am going to look at that oil nozzle, that sounds like the kind of thing that he may of overlooked.

Thanks for all the help, I'll let you know how the re re-build works out.
Posted by: jamesr
« on: April 15, 2011, 11:03:21 AM »

I brazed the .070 shut, and redrilled with a .040 when I rebuilt.  My engine holds 40 lb at 1000 rpm +, and 25 lbs. at less than 1000 rpm, hot or cold.  I suspect as wear takes placee these pressures will drop.  Jim
Posted by: rocketeer
« on: April 14, 2011, 10:46:09 PM »

When the engine was apart did you do anything with the timing gear oil jet? It didn't get left out by any chance did it? In order for it to drop to zero on idle there has to be more than just a poor fitting bearing cap. A missing oil galley plug or timing gear oil jet could cause it.



Larry
Posted by: F Bill
« on: April 14, 2011, 08:51:41 PM »

While you are in there take a really good look at your pickup assembly.. If you haven't already taken it apart and cleaned the screen now would be the time... and check the pickup tube for possible leak areas.. Definitely a headscratcher ya got there..
Posted by: Gunslinger
« on: April 14, 2011, 08:33:20 PM »

Hey guys, more fun in OP land, I changed the oil pump and put on a brand new NOS pump, made a big difference, but it did not solve the problem.  At cold idle I now have 45-50 psi, with straight 30 weight oil.  As it warms up the op drops to about 40 psi, still good. I drove it about 2 miles and the op went from 40 at 2500 rpm to 20 at 2500 rpm and 0 like not on the gage at all at idle.

So now I know a couple thngs, my other oil pumps were pumping oil, but had some problems and were not up to full capability. I also know I've got a problem inside, I suspect one of the main bearings is not fully up to tight.  Shes going in to the shop tommorow to have the pan dropped.  I'm not well versed in crank bearings so I don't mess with them.  I'll keep you posted, we should be at the end of the journey Friday night.
Posted by: Gunslinger
« on: April 13, 2011, 08:01:14 PM »

I'm Jealous !! I want to go to a Machine Gun Shoot! Up here in the state where nothing is allowed they get a little bonkers down at Gun control central when someone tries to set up a little automatic meeting.

I'm headed for the garage, going to put that NOS pump in and see what happens.  I'll keep you posted.
Posted by: Carls_jeep
« on: April 13, 2011, 04:54:12 PM »

I checked the oil pressure hot with the Jeep guage and it's about 25-30 psi at idle and about 45 psi at speed. I would guess that someone screwed the bypass in at some time in the past.
Posted by: Carls_jeep
« on: April 12, 2011, 02:59:02 PM »

I drove my Jeep today and the oil pressure stays at about 40 psi all the time. I am not liking that so I will put a test gauge on it to see what it really shows. It should go up and down with the engine speed.

Don't burn any barrels out but do have fun.

My son bought a M1919 .308 semi auto kit and we built it and got to test it last week. It fired just fine so now he will have it Parkerized.

We went to the Machine gun shoot at Know Creek last week end. It was a blast  :o  ;D
Posted by: Gunslinger
« on: April 12, 2011, 11:18:31 AM »

I knew I fell in with the right bunch of hoodlums !!! ;D

I'm going to put the new Oil pump on thursday night, If it works I'm headed for the range with lots of noise makers !!!
Posted by: Carls_jeep
« on: April 12, 2011, 07:56:57 AM »

Ahh, the Garand! Yeah, I carried one in Boot camp and the NG but I found them to heavy and the metal butt plate hurts my shoulder with repeated firing. I did own a Tankers model of the Garand one time but I sold it and should have kept it.

I remember the first time I fired my 1911. Walked down to the range after paying for it and a box of ammo. stuffed some cotton in my ears, loaded it and fired one shot. Unloaded it, went back to the shop and bought a good set of ear plugs and returned to the range and continued shooting. MAN, that .45 is LOUD as HELL. Still have the ear plugs and the .45.
Posted by: mud pie
« on: April 11, 2011, 10:36:46 PM »

Quote
Two best weapons used in WWII were the M1911A1 and the Cal. .30 M1 Carbine. Easy to carry, easy to shoot and dependable under any conditions. A man should never be without one or both of them, preferably both with lots of ammo and magazines and a Jeep to go with them.

I am appalled !!   :o

How could you not mention the M1 Garand !!

Can you tell which one I own ?   ;)

Actually, I own all three.....
Posted by: Carls_jeep
« on: April 11, 2011, 07:42:51 PM »

Two best weapons used in WWII were the M1911A1 and the Cal. .30 M1 Carbine. Easy to carry, easy to shoot and dependable under any conditions. A man should never be without one or both of them, preferably both with lots of ammo and magazines and a Jeep to go with them.
Posted by: Gunslinger
« on: April 11, 2011, 06:10:32 PM »

Hey Rocket, thanks for the web site, Ilooked that over and it makes sense.  Thanks
Posted by: Gunslinger
« on: April 11, 2011, 05:59:07 PM »

I think we got our wires crossed Carl.  This is a long story, but the engine I have in the jeep now is not the original, the first one was bored 80 over and wore out, when we took it apart we found the crank was cracked, that and having to sleeve it meant the only thing I kept was the oil pump and the head.  I found a cj3 engine out in South Dakota on a picker weekend, it was an original Willys rebuild with standard pistons and .003 wear.  So I had a guy put in new bearings and rings and do a valve job.  This engine was a compressor engine so it only had valves in 1 and 3.  So that is the engine in the jeep now.

So the oil pump on the old engine held 40 psi at 2500 rpm all day long.  But its been serviced since then and I think not so well.  So today I went to Midwest Military and bought a NOS oil pump, I'm going to put that on so that I can completly eliminate the oil pump from the game.  If that doesn't solve the problem I'm going to take the jeep it to the local shop 3 miles from here and have them drop the pan and measure the bearings and crank.  I'm thinking the bearings may not have been plasti-gaged correctly when installed.  Wish me luck, I'll keep you posted.  

The Gunslinger handle comes from my other passion, I'm not an action shooter, but I do like to take Sam Colts Government Model  of 1911 with me and drive the jeep to the range when I feel nostalgic for those loud noises!!!

Posted by: Carls_jeep
« on: April 11, 2011, 04:48:31 PM »

 :o WHAT? Only one cam bearing in the block!!!!! Well, I see a world of trouble there. Think throw away engine here.

I think my engine has been rebuilt because the Jeep has nearly 100,000 miles on it as best I can tell. Now I am wondering if my block has been machined for replaceable bearings because it holds about 50 psi hot at idle. I am not real sure about that because I just don't remember for sure but I will check. It's raining here now or I would take it for a drive now.

Hmm, a worn block could be the problem. Gunslinger, what was the oil pressure BEFORE you rebuilt it?

BTW, does the Gunslinger handle mean your a Fast Draw artist? I am and still have my guns and rigs.