The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Post reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it's been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Subject:
Message icon:

Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Write the word between words Jeep from this JeepWILLYSJeep?:
How many slot has a GPW grill?  7 - 9 - 11:

shortcuts: hit alt+s to submit/post or alt+p to preview


Topic Summary

Posted by: athawk11
« on: April 14, 2015, 10:47:51 PM »

The kit on Walck's website looks to include a castle style nut.  My guess is the nylon locker is a later version.

You could drill a hole for the cotter.  It surely couldn't hurt anything.

Tim
Posted by: aboyandhisdog
« on: April 14, 2015, 09:46:38 PM »

Thanks for the input.  I put new in years ago and couldn't remember just how it was set up.  There must be some kind of a shoulder on the bolt as I just cranked it down tight, then tightened up the pinch bolt and the steering is perfect.  The bell crank had a wobble before so I knew it was too loose.  Now, good to go.

Tim and Ryan, interesting that you have a lock nut.  That makes sense.  Mine might be a lock nut too - looks kind of like a castle nut but there isn't room for a cotter pin.  If that's a lock nut, it may have lost the ability to "lock".  Anyway, we're good now, but I may want to get a new nut at some point.
Posted by: 1955CJ-5
« on: April 14, 2015, 06:19:04 PM »

X3..

just go back and check it once in a while after you start driving it....
Posted by: Ryan_M
« on: April 14, 2015, 05:12:51 AM »

I pretty much did the same thing Tim. I couldn't find any definitive answers either so I tightened just enough so it still moves freely. It may not be right but it hasn't fallen out yet.....
Posted by: athawk11
« on: April 13, 2015, 10:00:33 PM »

Tom,
I was hoping someone else would jump in because I'm not entirely sure I have the correct answer.  + Bell crank pins seem to vary.  I have the type with a nylon lock nut.  I installed the pin, tightened this nut, then backed it off just enough to have free movement, but tight enough that there is zero slop.  I then tightened up the pinch bolt.  Hope I'm helping.  To others...If I'm leading aboyandhisdog down a deep dark path, please help us both! :-?
Posted by: aboyandhisdog
« on: April 13, 2015, 03:11:57 PM »

I couldn't find the proper way to tighten the bell crank in the service manual.  Do you just make it tight before tightening the pincher bolt, or are you supposed to back off of the big bell crank bolt a bit so that it will turn easily?  Much appreciate your help!