The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Post reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it's been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Subject:
Message icon:

Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Write the word between words Jeep from this JeepWILLYSJeep?:
How many slot has a GPW grill?  7 - 9 - 11:

shortcuts: hit alt+s to submit/post or alt+p to preview


Topic Summary

Posted by: corpsman
« on: February 24, 2015, 12:45:20 AM »

Brad, looks like you had a great one to start with.
Posted by: Brad
« on: February 22, 2015, 09:02:49 PM »

I know this is an old thread but I'm gonna post mine anyway...
Posted by: corpsman
« on: February 18, 2015, 02:59:05 PM »

that is an outstanding looking M38 with a great story behind it.� every time you look at it or drive it, you can always remember the day you and your brother were together and brought it home.� it's like having a little piece of him still there with you.� he would be honored, I'm sure.
Posted by: athawk11
« on: February 18, 2015, 01:12:08 PM »

That was a great story.  I'm sorry to read about the loss of your brother.  You clearly hold him in high regard. 

Thank you for sharing.

Tim   
Posted by: RICKG
« on: February 18, 2015, 10:20:25 AM »

Quote
Great tribute Rick, you will never be alone in that jeep....
Thanks.. My brother's needless early death left me with a whole lot of anger. In building this project I was able to put a lot of it away.
Posted by: BMIC
« on: February 18, 2015, 06:03:34 AM »

Great tribute Rick, you will never be alone in that jeep....
Posted by: RICKG
« on: February 17, 2015, 04:41:32 PM »

My brother ended his last tour of 'Nam in 1971 and it was darned good to have him back. That year there was a GSA auction at
the AANG base in the Papago Buttes south of PHX and he and I were flush w/cash, I think we had $800 bucks between us.
We brought home MC51986 that day. Over the years he and I built a lot of hotrods, classic P-U's and the like but MC51986 sat in the corner of the shop till he passed in 2009. There were all kinds of reasons not to tackle the M38 project- waterproof ign?? OMG!! 24V?? the HORROR!!�

Here it is in 2009 in my shop in Idaho almost 40years later
looking the same as when it was surplused.
And below is a memorial to my Bro.
Posted by: Ryan_M
« on: February 17, 2015, 04:12:46 PM »

BMIC - Your 3A really has turned out very nicely. Even from the couple times I've been able to "check-in"personally I know you have put a tremendous amount of effort into what will soon be a very fun little rig to drive. You should have a spare tire bracket to add to it by this time tomorrow  ;)
Posted by: BMIC
« on: February 17, 2015, 04:11:53 PM »

Quote
BMIC,
This really turned out nice.� Can you give us a little back story on the name?

Tim
RE-built  RE-paired  RE-painted RE-lined .... Goes on and on.
Posted by: corpsman
« on: February 17, 2015, 02:22:44 PM »

Quote
Corpsman, whats the deal with the siren on the passenger fender? Do you still have it?
the PO must have put that on.  he kind of painted it up to look like it was a military police jeep.  I do still have it, but I don't know if it works.  it had kind a proprietary bracket.  I've got that also.
Posted by: athawk11
« on: February 17, 2015, 01:46:55 PM »

BMIC,
This really turned out nice.  Can you give us a little back story on the name?

Tim
Posted by: BMIC
« on: February 17, 2015, 07:34:45 AM »

I first posted a picture of "RE" on page one of this topic back in 2012. I am still working on RE but she is just lacking the installation of the fuel tank and hood. To the trained eye RE will have many flaw's and be at best a cousin to a M38 but it has become a family and friend favorite. From the start I simply wanted to do a quality rebuild that my family could enjoy for another 65 years, and down deep reconnect in a way to the rich history these machines represent. Everything that was worn was replaced with new, the engine was completely rebuilt by a local shop that specializes in antique cars, and every bolt replaced with SS. Very few people besides the members reading this know of the enormous pride we have in these machines. My little Willy's 3A will enjoy the good life from here on out, in the garage at night and hopefully driven every day, RE has earned that.
Posted by: garage gnome
« on: February 17, 2015, 05:47:38 AM »

Corpsman, whats the deal with the siren on the passenger fender? Do you still have it?
Posted by: corpsman
« on: February 17, 2015, 12:32:27 AM »

Quote
I figured I would add Whitey, a 3A, to this thread.  I found these two Willys for sale on Craiglist in late January, 2013.  It was a package deal.  $2,000.00 for both.
man, that looks like a great deal!  congrats!
Posted by: corpsman
« on: February 17, 2015, 12:31:14 AM »

Quote
Corpsman,
Thank you for finding and reviving this thread.� It's been a couple years since we've added new stories from the 3A brethren.� I encourage everyone to share a photo and the history.

Tim
hey, you're very welcome.  I like to look back through old threads and posts when there's not much chatter on the forum.  I like to see all the pictures, and I like knowing the history of some of the forum member's jeeps.  I also like to contribute wherever I can to help keep others interested in the forum.