The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Post reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it's been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Subject:
Message icon:

Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Write the word between words Jeep from this JeepWILLYSJeep?:
How many slot has a GPW grill?  7 - 9 - 11:

shortcuts: hit alt+s to submit/post or alt+p to preview


Topic Summary

Posted by: Jeff_M
« on: July 10, 2014, 07:05:44 PM »

Quote
Quite a journey for this little hunk of iron since being pulled out of a snowbank in the woods a few months ago.


Not to mention surviving a drag across a frozen lake.
Posted by: Ryan_M
« on: July 10, 2014, 03:57:21 PM »

Quote
Wow....that is pretty neat!� If I didn't know better, I think the photo of the compression readings looks like an American's handwriting....


Haha...A "Crazy American" at that  ;D
Posted by: macrisel
« on: July 10, 2014, 03:28:39 PM »

Wow....that is pretty neat!  If I didn't know better, I think the photo of the compression readings looks like an American's handwriting....
Posted by: 1955CJ-5
« on: July 10, 2014, 09:58:33 AM »

Amazing....I wonder if it will get shipped back to the States....
Posted by: Ryan_M
« on: July 10, 2014, 09:10:10 AM »

The latest chapter on the Doodlebug motor reveals that it has just sold again. This time, in the UK for nearly $4500 (!!!). Quite a journey for this little hunk of iron since being pulled out of a snowbank in the woods a few months ago.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WW2-Ford-GPW-Engine-Also-Willys-Jeep-/301230711012?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_sacat%3D0%26_from%3DR40%26_nkw%3D301230711012%26_rdc%3D1&nma=true&si=kLtdrgf1G4PiSkIjE2Jsauz2ayU%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
Posted by: Ryan_M
« on: March 09, 2014, 08:59:57 PM »

Quote
Are those tires as nice as they look?


No, I wish. The tread is great but the sides are badly cracked on all of them.
Posted by: Jeff_M
« on: March 09, 2014, 06:39:52 PM »

Are those tires as nice as they look?
Posted by: Ryan_M
« on: March 08, 2014, 10:19:47 PM »

All good things must at some point end. Such is the case with the Doodlebug.

The motor is still strapped to a pallet awaiting shipment to England and the rest of the carcass has been picked as clean as a chicken bone.

Axles removed




Frame cut into manageable sections


My typical "It looks like a war zone" work area


Loaded up and ready for transport


And all 920 pounds of surplus Doodlebuggery discarded at the scrap yard. A moment of silence and reflection was in order...


Steering box, axle components, radiator, locking hubs, '72 Bombardier Skidoo Olympique gas tank� ;D and everything else even remotely worth salvaging has either been sold or is for sale. The T-90 and D-18 both look good and are sitting here awaiting a rainy day project.



If anyone needs some MB axle parts or housings let me know. I think that's a 3B radiator too.




Posted by: Bob W
« on: February 28, 2014, 08:36:33 PM »

Looks like an early CJ-5 frame. The bellcrank on the axle would make it MB/GPW.
Posted by: Jeff_M
« on: February 28, 2014, 07:51:30 AM »

Quote
About time to get JeffM moving on a project...
  "Living vicariously" works just fine for me.

Looks like a rear end there that could be crying out for a rebuild.  :-)
Posted by: Ryan_M
« on: February 27, 2014, 10:04:56 PM »

Quote
About time to get JeffM moving on a project...

I would much rather have seen this motor shipped off to Jeff_M for a project but it has found a good home elsewhere.

Tonight began the prep to ready it for its long trip across the ocean.





This weekend it'll be strapped to that pallet sitting behind it and off it goes.

I pulled the tranny an transfer case too. I'm still curious about the frame and the axles. Can anyone tell what this front axle is and maybe what the frame started out as? That bell crank bracket has got to be easy to identify if you know what you're looking at. I do not. Any value here?











Even if the frame horns are worth cutting off and parting out I'll do it. Still hellbent to preserve as much useful stuff as I can so others can finish projects and I can continue to fund mine� :D
Posted by: BMIC
« on: February 11, 2014, 02:57:47 PM »

I wonder how many of those were hauled off for scrap. That is an incredible engine, that strong of an engine can't stay on that frame. About time to get JeffM moving on a project...
Posted by: Ryan_M
« on: February 08, 2014, 09:34:38 PM »

For such a relic the motor seems to be in pretty good shape. It has better compression than my shiny 3A  :D

Posted by: SteveW
« on: February 08, 2014, 03:46:21 PM »

Leave it long, put some tracks on it and seating for 6 and you have a troop carrier just as has been suggested. They actually did experiment with a tracked jeep. Already got a name for it "Half Squad" Really neat video of that vehicle. It would be called a buggy or stump jumper down here in Florida
Posted by: athawk11
« on: February 08, 2014, 11:48:10 AM »

That is AWESOME!!

Don't drive it down to show the PO.  He'll probably want it back! ;D

Tim